Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Eggplant stuffed with Moroccan lamb  (Read 2569 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Eggplant stuffed with Moroccan lamb
« on: November 05, 2015, 09:02:18 PM »
There's a Moroccan spot by my house that makes a great stuffed eggplant. I think theirs is baked in a pan with tomato sauce on the bottom but I wanted to do a grill version. Here's my take:

Cut a long, cylindrical eggplant in half and scoop out the middle, leaving a 1/2" of flesh on each side. Put the scooped out flesh in boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. Set up grill for indirect heat 350-450 degrees.

In the meantime, sauté a pound of ground lamb in a skillet with a little olive oil. Once mostly browned, add diced onion. Cook until onion is soft, then add tomato paste, a little red wine, salt and pepper, and ras al hanout (translates to "top of the shelf" it's a blend of a bunch of spices). Stir to combine and reduce heat. Lamb should be in a thick reddish orange sauce.

Drain your boiled eggplant and finely chop, stir into lamb mixture. Spoon generously into hollowed eggplant halves.

I chose to split the baskets with a drip pan in the middle. I put 5 unlit Stubbs briqs in each basket and split a full mini chimney between them.

Cook until eggplant is tender and meat is browned on top

At this point I added some mozzarella cheese because I had it and I like cheese, but it's not really Moroccan.

Off the grill

And plated with some salad that had green onion, carrot, and red onion with a homemade lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic dressing with a touch of agave nectar to cut the tartness of the lemons.

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:50:30 PM by austin87 »

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Eggplant stuffed with Moroccan lamb
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 09:10:55 PM »
Nice. That looks like great food.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 09:49:27 PM »
Nice cook! Never would of thought of it, but will try it the wife likes egg plant and lamb.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 10:53:04 PM »
I used a regular old eggplant but after talking with my girlfriend I think the restaurant near me uses Chinese eggplant. They are a little smaller and have a long, thin shape and I think they are a little more tender. Next time I might get 2 or 3 of those rather than one large regular eggplant.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 08:58:57 AM »
So how was it?!?!? ... My eyes tell me very good 8)

Super creative and the end result looks excellent!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 09:09:29 AM »
  I love eggplant , not a lamb fan , but then again I haven't tried it since the Easter Debacle of 1971 .

Never the less I'm all over taking recipes and making them grillable , great job man ! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 09:40:06 AM »
Great cook.  Adding it to my to do list for sure.  My GF told me last night she is tired of pork and chicken, so some lamb is definitely on my radar!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 09:42:04 AM »
  I love eggplant , not a lamb fan , but then again I haven't tried it since the Easter Debacle of 1971 .

Never the less I'm all over taking recipes and making them grillable , great job man ! 

@Idahawk you could totally use ground beef or ground turkey. Or skip the Moroccan seasoning and I bet Italian sausage would be really good too.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 10:32:20 AM »
Looks good Austin.

And uhhhhh..........

.........I haven't tried it since the Easter Debacle of 1971 . 

Holy crap Idahawk that must have been some incident if you are holding onto it this long.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 11:25:18 AM »

Looks good Austin.

And uhhhhh..........

.........I haven't tried it since the Easter Debacle of 1971 . 

Holy crap Idahawk that must have been some incident if you are holding onto it this long.

Not really, just a quirk :)

When your a kid and the adults tell you that when you eat lamb you can put jelly on it , you get pretty excited . Only it's nasty ass mint jelly and along with the rich gamey taste of the lamb , it wasn't something many 5 year olds would eat and like .
To this day the smell of Lamb gags me ....just one of those things lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 07:39:20 AM »
Great looking plate Austin! This is something my wife would love for me to make, as we have been cutting out carbs.
We did stuffed peppers the other day, but with ground sausage, I bet that would work well in the eggplant too.