Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tandoori chicken on the Poortex  (Read 3438 times)

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Tandoori chicken on the Poortex
« on: October 18, 2015, 10:55:28 PM »
My daughter had a school assignment to make a dish from another country and culture. She is a university student taking university courses. And they want her to make a dish from another culture.

Ok, it's California.

She asks Dad if we can do the assignment together. Yes, we can. Dad has ideas.

Poortex, because I won't have a Vortex until maybe Tuesday. So I swapped the charcoal baskets between my new 26 and the SSP. The older SSP baskets are taller by at least an inch. You can stack coals in them until they touch the grill. And that's what I did, in an attempt to radiate high heat right at the chicken over a long time without the chicken being over the coals. The newer, shorter baskets went on the SSP, and were very good for cooking the naan.

Tandoori chicken, fragrant basmati rice, and naan are on the menu.

Not really Tandoori because I don't have a Tandoor oven. Weberdoori chicken?

Naan I have made before, it is simple and easy. And good. It just takes planning, because the dough has to have time to rise. It is also a good carrier for pulled pork.

No picture of cooking the rice? I tried, but it kept falling through the grill. So it got cooked inside on the stovetop. Here is a plate.

What went well? Pretty much everything. It was a good meal. My daughter got the recipes and pics for her paper. My wife, who is averse to spices, actually ate the food (well, not the rice), and asked for some for lunch tomorrow.

The rice was actually my favorite. It had a lot of spices, and the predominant flavor was the fennel, which I like.

The overfilled SSP wire basket idea did pretty well. The skin was crisped, and there was some charring which Tandoori chicken usually has. I'll find out soon how the Vortex works for me.

I did leave the skin on the chicken, which isn't traditional and blocks the yogurt marinade from the meat to a certain degree. But what is Vortex...er...Poortex chicken without crispy skin?

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Tandoori chicken on the Poortex
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 07:15:39 AM »
I'd eat a big old plate of that any day!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
That looks incredible!

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 04:20:23 PM »
Nicely done. What's your naan recipe?

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »
Nicely done. What's your naan recipe?

Thank you. The naan is quick, easy, and good. Here is the recipe http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/08/grilled-naan-recipe.html

The chicken recipe came from SeriousEats also, although I didn't follow it to the letter (I probably should have).

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 06:23:09 PM »
That looks really good Jon!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E