Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone make a ham?  (Read 2418 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Anyone make a ham?
« on: October 13, 2015, 07:11:32 PM »
I will be curing a 12-15lb ham to add to my family's Thanksgiving menu this year. My grandfather has been smoking our turkey on a Weber kettle for at least 30 years (I'm 28 and have never had turkey cooked in an oven on Thanksgiving 8)).

I've been making a couple different cured meats over the last couple of weeks, including Canadian bacon, bacon, and shoulder butt ham, so I have a comfort with the curing process. I will be experimenting in the time leading up to Turkey day with a variety of smaller cuts like sirloin roasts, butts, pork top round, etc., to iron out salt and sugar percentages and play with the flavor profile, but was wondering if any of you have made one and I could borrow from your experience.

I will be posting the lead up cooks complete with pictures as well. Looking forward to any input.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:31:00 PM by austin87 »

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: Anyone make a ham?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 11:55:41 PM »
I saw an episode of BBQ Pit Boys where they made a ham and pineapple bacon recipe.  Google BBQ Pit Boys.com an you will find a lot of good recipes.  The pimarily use Weber Kettles.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 07:52:31 PM »
I know it is cheating but may want to look at what I do for holidays...

Also don on my gas grill but...

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/bone-in-ham-on-the-grill!!!/msg160129/#msg160129
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 11:23:08 PM »

Make your own Weber rotisserie for $30.00
You will need
1 Old Weber
1 Universal rotisserie kit, home center about $30.00
1 Thermometer for the lid about $6 at the home center. You will not know your cook temperature without this.

1. Drill 2 5/16 holes, one inch below lower kettle rim, in the center of the kettle parallel to the wheels.
2. Run spit rod through holes, mount motor bracket on left side. Bracket will have to be shimmed out do to curvature of kettle.
    Do not attach bracket without shims for this will add heat transfer to the bracket and motor.
3. I sawed off the non-point end of the skewer rod so only a few inches protrude when in use.

The rod goes into the motor on the left side. The bushing keeps the rod from walking out the right side.
   Questions?
   Thanks,
   E

Shopping Friday night, Meat aisle, Hams. Seen this Hillshire Farms ham for $7 bucks. Priced to sell fast do to a small leak in the vacuum packaging. I made it mine.

Saturday afternoon tie up.

Heat wave 35 degrees outside.

Started cooking at 375 and let it drop down to 275, cooked it about 3 hours total.

Hickory does its magic.

Saturday night

Sunday morning

Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 11:26:09 PM »
All of the meat curing you have been doing is awesome, and I want to try some of the things you have been so industriously doing.

But can you hand the phone over to your grandfather? Get him on the line?

30 years of smoking turkey on the kettle? How many people can come close to that? Amazing.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 11:35:54 PM »
And I left out, I ordered a Vortex today because of the strength of your chicken wing post! Including the horrible shipping prices from Owens BBQ. (Which were actually the best shipping prices of any Vortex dealer why aren't these guys on Amazon.)

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 08:28:12 AM »
Ham on the kettle is excellent and I'm not a huge ham guy.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:30:05 AM by wyd »
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 06:28:13 PM »

And I left out, I ordered a Vortex today because of the strength of your chicken wing post! Including the horrible shipping prices from Owens BBQ. (Which were actually the best shipping prices of any Vortex dealer why aren't these guys on Amazon.)

I here that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!