Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone Got Pork Spare Ribs Recipie ideas?  (Read 1185 times)

joness105639

• Smokey Joe
Anyone Got Pork Spare Ribs Recipie ideas?
« on: September 08, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »
I have an 8 lb slab of pork spare ribs in the refrigerator that I want to grill, but I'm not entirely sure how to cook them or season them etc.  I've never grilled such an epic piece of meat.  I have a 1993 ss performer ready and waiting for the challenge complete with charcoal baskets, and the gourmet system 22.5" grill grate.  I have kingsford briquettes and applewood chips, but I'm open to alternatives for this cook.

madbbq

• Smokey Joe
Re: Anyone Got Pork Spare Ribs Recipie ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:48:24 AM »
I'm new to the whole smoking thing but if it were me this is what i would do.

Cut the ribs to St. Louis style,
Remove the membrane on the back,
Apply rub (you can look all over the internet for different recipes).  I personally buy a local brand that does not include any sugars then apply light brown sugar after.  Let sit for a couple of hours.
Set up grill for indirect using the 3-2-1 method, (also found on the internet)

The flap you cut off to make st. louis style you  could cook on the side for snacks.

Not much detailed but hope it is a start.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:51:39 AM »
Smoke 'em on up.......

Rub with favorite seasonings (generally, I would avoid much sugar / brown sugar in the rub, as the cook will take awhile & it could burn some)

These were big ones.........

Two small snakes, opposite directions, rotate goods a few times during cook to keep from directly above coals.....I added more coals than you see here, before the startup.....go ahead & pack some in so you maybe can go without a re-load......top vent open, bottoms pinched down to get the temp you want..... ;D

(along with beefs on another kettle)

...or, off to one side........maybe ditch the baskets & just bank a good sized pile of UN-lit & set in a dozen lit for a sort of "Minion" style burn....

Throw a couple handfuls of dry chips every hour & a half.......large rack like that @ 250~275 (grate temp, next to the meat, see pics) will likely be 5 to 6 hours  .....adjust approx. time up or down if you cook hotter or cooler....... 8)

Look for the "bend" late in the cook....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:01:02 AM »
I try to avoid 3-2-1 ribs, the last ones I did came out overdone for my taste (pull the bones out with your fingers, I like a little bite to my ribs). I was running 275 instead of 225 so maybe it was user error rather than a flawed method.

Dual snakes is a good way to go, you may also consider doing small minion methods with the baskets on each side and ribs in the middle.