Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Would this be safe to use for holding a raised grate  (Read 2162 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Would this be safe to use for holding a raised grate
« on: July 23, 2015, 06:21:36 AM »
I've been experimenting with Pizza using a raised stone to promote even cooking top and bottom and Using a ring of coals around the back of the kettle for indrect cooking.

On my last few cooks i noticed that arranging and refueling coals with a cooking grate is tricky even with flip up sides. My thought was if i could use a raised rack placed directly on the charcoal grate with pizza stone on the raised grate,  I would completely skip the normal cooking grate altogether. There would be the raised stone close to the dome, with open access on the permimeter  to allow easier refueling and arranging of charcoal around the perimeter of the kettle.

I saw this online I felt this would fit the bill well:

but while cleaning out my home office i came across two of these:

One Black, one Chrome. Im thinking the crome might be safter since lots of grates are nickel or chrome plated too.

According to the manufacturer they are steel wire. They are as thick if not thicker then the wire on most of my grill grates.

Here is my question:
Would this be safe to use to lift and hold a raised grate? It would not touch any food.  The rubber feet in the photo have been removed.

If i burned with a hand torch or let it do a burn off in a wood or lump fire would that burn off any paint or unhealty coatings before use would that make it safer? What about a vinegar bath? 

Anyone ever use any non food items like this for grill use. I know we use other hardware (nuts bolts expanded metal etc lots of other grill mods.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:44:59 AM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Would this be safe to use for holding a raised grate
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »
Give it a shot. Can't hurt.. I'm concerned with stability. Are you planning to attach a grate to that or just set it there? Looks like the grate would slide off, cause a safety hazard, aND destroy dinner in the blink of an eye.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:35:05 PM »
The bottom one should do fine after a hot Lump burn beneath it.

How much higher would it be though? think 4.5" between grates, however much higher is to the goal.

Not sure how much arranging coals needed when using pizza stone, I just blaze a chimney full & dump / scatter all around under raised stone to preheat 20-30 min (I use a stove burner grate for slight lift @ 1.5")
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 01:16:15 PM »
Mini  yes can be attached  either stay in the zip ties or wire.

Mike  my current set up had about 4-5 inches from charcoal grate to cooking grate and 3-4 inches of lift  for cooking great to stone using either charcoal holders or an old expanded metal Charcoal basket I had.  My total distance from charcoal great to stone was approximately 8-9 inches.

This is 7 inches.  I can also place on firebricks to add another 2 inches to get me up to nine  if needed.

They're both shoved in a pile of hot coal's right now so let's see how it goes
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 06:34:34 AM »
So as expected there wasnt much burn off with the chrome but the black had a funky smell and the coating was coming off it, not sure if it was plastic or paint but i will not be using the black going foward.

I did some test fits with the chrome and it gives the expected height boost but as discussed above the grates might need to be wired together for stability. The project continues.   

tb6844

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »
I used to have a little grate exactly like the top picture, with the fold down legs.  We used it once or twice cooking simple stuff directly over a campfire but it was wobbly as shit.  We gave it away at a garage sale shortly after. 

I'm not sure if it would be very stable in a kettle.