Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first restoration, phase one.  (Read 1416 times)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
My first restoration, phase one.
« on: July 25, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »
So awhile back I got the table and frame of a One Touch Platinum from the early 90s.  I also got the bowl but it was beyond saving, the bottom was just one big rusted out hole.  Then like a few others I was able to get a Performer Silver on clearance.  Well I finally got the chance to bring these two together. 

Here's the table as it was. 

Some rust on the frame and the plastic parts were disgusting, you can't see it in this picture but the front of the bottom pieces were green.

Here she is with phase 1 done.

So I sanded out all the rust, and repainted the frame.  Though I need to do some touch ups, as you can see I put too much masking tape over the screw holes.  I ended up going with the new Performer's black plastic bottom pieces as I liked the way they looked on it. 

The wireframe bottom rack ended up being just too rusted out, as I was trying to sand it sections just broke off.  Phase 2 is going to be replacing that, replacing the bolts that hold the kettle in place since they're so badly rusted too, and getting to work on cleaning those wheels. 

She's at least ready to cook on again, and for her inauguration tomorrow it's going to be brisket.

I've named her Ol'Smokey since she'd going to become the kettle I just smoke on, and my blue one will be just for grilling.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Re: My first restoration, phase one.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 05:08:44 PM »
Looks great.  Very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 05:56:45 PM »
I like the black end pieces also, although i painted mine, i also replaced my table as it was really sun roached.

Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 06:55:23 PM »
What did you replace your table with?  Did you just order a new one from Weber or is it a performer table?

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 07:55:50 PM »
Looks nice!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 08:15:49 PM »
What did you replace your table with?  Did you just order a new one from Weber or is it a performer table?
I ordered it from Weber, they say it's a Platinum table but i noticed other mounting holes. $60 for the table.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......