Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: smoked wings  (Read 2889 times)

chasnasty5943

• Smokey Joe
smoked wings
« on: July 21, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »
Hey all,

Yesterday I tried smoked Buffalo wings.  Hickory smoke at about 230-270 (had some trouble getting temp pegged) then onto hot coals in an attempt to crisp up the skins. 

Meat on wings came out great, skin was kinda rubbery--not bad---but not as good as I had hoped

Any input in how to get the skin done better?  longer over direct heat? 

Thanks in advance

Charlie

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: smoked wings
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 06:45:40 PM »
Let them air dry in the refrigerator for 12 hours before smoking.

Get coals really hot. Maybe even light a new chimney of coals just for crisping up the skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 08:23:38 PM »
For crisp skin you need to do them in the range of 325 to 350, really anything over 300 should do the hotter the better
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:48:47 PM »
Get a vortex @THUNDERDOME

The best wings I have ever done were patted dry with paper towels, hit with salt and pepper, then lightly coated in flour. Cooked around the screaming hot vortex. Once finished and crispy toss in the sauce of your choice.

Temps need to be higher and my theory is that chicken skin has enough fat - don't oil the wings. Make sure they are dry (that's where the flour comes in).

I'm due for a couple more test cooks on the wings, so hopefully I'll have a good concrete method for awesome crispy wings soon.

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:50:18 AM »
I also like the vortex for wings my temp gets up over 500 kills the seasoning on your grill though so better done on a dedicated high heat cooker. I air dry my wings beside a fan for roughly an hour before cooking.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 01:20:35 AM »
I have experimented with wings and trying to get them just right …. here is one attempt:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/chicken-wing-experiment/

I am still experimenting, but I did like this method.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 05:38:16 AM »
Let them air dry in the refrigerator for 12 hours before smoking.

Get coals really hot. Maybe even light a new chimney of coals just for crisping up the skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For crisp skin you need to do them in the range of 325 to 350, really anything over 300 should do the hotter the better

The best wings I have ever done were patted dry with paper towels, hit with salt and pepper, then lightly coated in flour. Cooked around the screaming hot vortex. Once finished and crispy toss in the sauce of your choice.

Temps need to be higher and my theory is that chicken skin has enough fat - don't oil the wings. Make sure they are dry (that's where the flour comes in).

I'm due for a couple more test cooks on the wings, so hopefully I'll have a good concrete method for awesome crispy wings soon.

I also like the vortex for wings my temp gets up over 500 kills the seasoning on your grill though so better done on a dedicated high heat cooker. I air dry my wings beside a fan for roughly an hour before cooking.

I have experimented with wings and trying to get them just right …. here is one attempt:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/chicken-wing-experiment/

I am still experimenting, but I did like this method.

All good points......or you could smoke them however you'd like  up to near done & throw them in the deep fryer (Wok half full of oil on another kettle would do)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 08:00:12 AM »

I've been using your method with good results . Just made a bigger vortex for even more heat . Haven't tried it yet.

The larger vortex should work better with wok too 

Cheers