Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear  (Read 26917 times)

terrymo

• WKC Brave
Re: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »
Ok I'm a techno tard so I accidentally deleted my mid cook pics.
First some rough SNS dimensions and some pics to give you a perspective then some pics of the BB ribs (before sauce) and some red pepper beans I did last night.

SNS Approximate Dimensions
Height 4-1/2"
Length 20-1/2"
Width 8-7/8"
Water chamber capacity 4 cups
Charcoal chamber capacity 120 KBB (older larger size)
Aluminum pan from Costco 11" x 13"
Did a 6 hour cook at 250 and had approx 1 cup of water remaining

[/URL]

I started out with a WSM and then got a Performer much later so I don't have the experience many of you do with cooking low and slow on a kettle. Using the SNS for a rookie like me was pretty fool proof. I filled up the water and charcoal chamber, then removed 8 briquettes to light and used the minion method. Used one chunk of applewood. Cooked at 250 for about 6 hours and put the drip beans on the charcoal grate for the last two hours. Temps locked in without incident even with my daily cooker which is pretty leaky. I was very happy with the performance of the SNS and the ribs were some of my best according to the family.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2015, 02:07:43 PM »
What's the theory behind using water? Is it to keep the cooking environment moist or a heat sink/ temp controller?
Does it still hold consistent temps without water?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2015, 02:13:42 PM »
What's the theory behind using water? Is it to keep the cooking environment moist or a heat sink/ temp controller?

Probably a bit of both.
In my experience, I can't tell the difference between water in the bowl vs not water in the bowl.
I don't think it makes a difference in food moisture, but i've only experimented with butts and ribs.

It DOES however, make a great thermal buffer. Water converting to steam consumes heat energy, plus it acts as a great insulator between the heat and the meat.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the Slow N Sear. (And I was initially skeptical)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2015, 02:31:06 PM »

Probably a bit of both.
In my experience, I can't tell the difference between water in the bowl vs not water in the bowl.
I don't think it makes a difference in food moisture, but i've only experimented with butts and ribs.

It DOES however, make a great thermal buffer. Water converting to steam consumes heat energy, plus it acts as a great insulator between the heat and the meat.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the Slow N Sear. (And I was initially skeptical)

Some say the water helps keep the meat moist, not so sure with that theory.

And with RE to being a skeptic Troy, I have found that with you RE most of the stuff that MeatHead promotes. MeatHead v MeatNinja? hmmmm  :)  I have been happy with most stuff.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2015, 02:32:23 PM »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »
I don't think in my case (with the SmokenAtor) that the water has much if any effect on the moisture in the meat, but the moisture in the chamber adds to the depth of the so-called smoke ring.  When I cook ribs using the 'fuse' w/o a water pan, then they're great (of course :) ), but the smoke ring is noticeably less than with a water pan of water.

Definitely, helps control the temp stability.
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2015, 02:50:08 PM »

Probably a bit of both.

Some say the water helps keep the meat moist, not so sure with that theory.

And with RE to being a skeptic Troy, I have found that with you RE most of the stuff that MeatHead promotes. MeatHead v MeatNinja? hmmmm  :)  I have been happy with most stuff.

I think the guy is brilliant and his site is amazing.
I just feel that some of his content is based on profits instead of science, and others are laced with dogmatism.
I'm not judging him based off of it, I've crossed those lines before and I probably will again.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2015, 03:31:56 PM »
Have fun @LightningBoldtz

While we wait.  A customer's burger cook

@ABCbarbecue link doesn't work, at least for me.

On my phone at moment but will get the correct link to you.

Glad to hear happy pitmaster experiences with the Slow 'N Sear so far.

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2015, 03:44:37 PM »
I think with all the voodoo, folklore and superstition that exists in the BBQ world, a healthy dose of skepticism is required. @Troy what makes this site great is rather than a bunch of fanboys kissing the ass of the originator(s) of the site, people feel the freedom to call BS when they see it.

I was skeptical of both the Vortex and the SnS but I think they both have proven useful for me even if they aren't absolutely necessary.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »
Here's another attempt to post the link to the burger cook:  http://imgur.com/a/OB8Sx#Co93V70

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »
I think with all the voodoo, folklore and superstition that exists in the BBQ world, a healthy dose of skepticism is required. @Troy what makes this site great is rather than a bunch of fanboys kissing the ass of the originator(s) of the site, people feel the freedom to call BS when they see it.

I was skeptical of both the Vortex and the SnS but I think they both have proven useful for me even if they aren't absolutely necessary.

Yeah!

I, too, was SUPER skeptical of the vortex.
I STILL don't think it does all the things the creator claims ;) BUT - when it comes to a circle of chicken cooked high heat indirect, there's nothing better.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2015, 09:34:57 PM »

@ABCbarbecue just a heads up, this link has two instances of http:// in it as well as quote marks at the beginning and end so the link doesn't work correctly.

Just need to modify the post and Set the link to http://imgur.com/a/OB8Sx

I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2015, 03:03:38 AM »
I am skeptical of ALL (did anyone else here ever get lied to about Santa, etc)
When I tested the vortex concept (cut a coffee can shorter) I was impressed.

Using some scrap I tested this SnS idea w/ EM back it gave misc to null result,
set EM aside, used a solid strap Minus fancy engineered angle & water trough
There is really something to this (DOUBLE VORTEX+) bending the scrap for 18"
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2015, 03:17:25 AM »
I'm not skeptical at all I've been using this for the last couple of years and it works well

Im just interested to know the reasoning behind having the water trough
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2015, 05:06:23 AM »

@ABCbarbecue just a heads up, this link has two instances of http:// in it as well as quote marks at the beginning and end so the link doesn't work correctly.

Just need to modify the post and Set the link to http://imgur.com/a/OB8Sx

Fixed.  Thanks!

@Metal Mike your SnS will ship in a few hours.  Based on your location you should be cooking on it by the weekend  8)