Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wok cooking question  (Read 3780 times)

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
Wok cooking question
« on: May 14, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »
Can frozen vegetables be done or is there too much ice/water in them . And what are the best candidates for vegetables

Thanks & cheers

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Wok cooking question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 01:25:31 PM »
Just don't use too much oil. You'll be fine. Attack it just like you would a skillet on the stove.

I like squash and zucchini brushed with garlic olive oil. Mushrooms . Asperagus wrapped with prosciutto with provalone. Basically anything you like. You may wanna stay away from peas..they are hard to flip and they fall thru the grate.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:50:31 PM by MINIgrillin »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 11:37:34 PM »
Red, Green, Yellow bell pepper.  Always onion, garlic, ginger.  broccoli, cabbage (especially green cabbage).  I seldom use frozen vegetables,  Wok cooking is all about fresh & quick  ...  leave them on the crisp/crunchy side.  Dark Sesame oil at the end to garnish.
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 05:53:11 AM »

Just don't use too much oil. You'll be fine. Attack it just like you would a skillet on the stove.

I like squash and zucchini brushed with garlic olive oil. Mushrooms . Asperagus wrapped with prosciutto with provalone. Basically anything you like. You may wanna stay away from peas..they are hard to flip and they fall thru the grate.
[/quot

Funny ; )

Thanks

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 05:59:54 AM »

Red, Green, Yellow bell pepper.  Always onion, garlic, ginger.  broccoli, cabbage (especially green cabbage).  I seldom use frozen vegetables,  Wok cooking is all about fresh & quick  ...  leave them on the crisp/crunchy side.  Dark Sesame oil at the end to garnish.

So sesame oil in wok near the end of cooking or when it's put on plate.?

Thanks as I figured frozen just won't cook well.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 07:16:55 AM »
With wok cooking, you'll be having the heat cranked up regardless. Tossing in frozen veggies, particularly if they're small, shouldn't slow it down too much for long.

I presume what SmokenJoe meant was to use the dark oil at the end of the cook, for just a little while, not on the plate.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 10:07:51 PM »
I always add my 'Dark' Sesame oil in the final re-mix before plating.  It doesn't like much heat, but by then you're just bringing the sauce and everything else back together again.  I always rinse and thaw AND dry my frozen veggies  ...  hot oil and water DO NOT mix well :-)

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 06:14:50 AM »

I always add my 'Dark' Sesame oil in the final re-mix before plating.  It doesn't like much heat, but by then you're just bringing the sauce and everything else back together again.  I always rinse and thaw AND dry my frozen veggies  ...  hot oil and water DO NOT mix well :-)

Thanks SJ

We just did first wok cook yesterday. Came  out good ,really good . Sorry no pics cause I was really busy trying not to screw things up .Best use of loin chops I've ever had.
Very disappointed WEBER doesn't appear to have ANY wok recipes online or supplied with their wok

Cheers

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 07:34:13 AM »
Yeah, it's hard to take pics whilst wokking.......everything moves pretty fast !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 09:45:11 AM »
I always rinse and thaw AND dry my frozen veggies  ...  hot oil and water DO NOT mix well :-)

That's good. Nothing turns a stir fry into a steam more than excess moisture. You want to dry all of your ingredients.

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 11:45:27 AM »

I always rinse and thaw AND dry my frozen veggies  ...  hot oil and water DO NOT mix well :-)

That's good. Nothing turns a stir fry into a steam more than excess moisture. You want to dry all of your ingredients.

This is all good to know thanks . I've heard here about drying Lima beans & Brussels sprouts for better cooking texture and taste. I myself won't cook a steak without dry aging over night. I haven't heard of anyone here speaking of that here. Doing steak & stir fry pics to come

Cheers to all

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 10:44:59 AM »
Google "Asian Stir Fry"  ...  more recipes (and YouTube videos) then I could cook in a year.  I especially like the street vendor videos. 

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 07:34:53 PM »

Google "Asian Stir Fry"  ...  more recipes (and YouTube videos) then I could cook in a year.  I especially like the street vendor videos.

Will do

Thanks