Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Operation Bison  (Read 2039 times)

Grizz

• WKC Brave
Operation Bison
« on: May 10, 2015, 10:44:33 AM »
Ok, Sunday cook.  Meat of choice, Buffalo back ribs:

brushed front to back with the Gulden's you see there and liberally coated with McCormick's Grill Mates Barbecue seasoning.  Normally I make a St. Louis rub from scratch, but this bottle was unopened in the back of the spice cub board and since the ingredients were more or less the same I thought what the hell?

Going with a straight up snake.  Two rows on the bottom.  15 of Kingsfords finest blue and one row on top dressed out with pecan chunks and some left over coals form a previous cook.

Kept an eye on it for the first hour.  Bottom vent was left open just a smidge and the top with left open..mmmm...maybe a quarter.  Only have the top thermo to go off of but it maintained 250 for most of the hour.  Towards the end it started to climb, guessing that second lump of pecan just started to catch so I closed the top down to a sliver.  Here it is after an hour just before the first mop of a simple apple juice/apple cider vinegar concoction:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:39:44 PM by Grizz »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Operation Bison
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 12:05:05 PM »
Grate Start !!!!

Don't know how much 'fullo you've done, but it's (even farmed) less fatty than beef, so consider pan braizing up on a rack late in the cook to avoid dryness.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 12:23:03 PM »
waiting to see end result ...... great start

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 01:25:34 PM »
1buckie: we've been buying from this farm north of us for several years.  this makes the first year we've cooked anything on the Barbie and not the gasser

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 05:23:08 PM »
Ah, glad it's not the 1st rodeo.....I've goofed more bison that any other single meat.....good, real good when it's right !!!!

@Grizz  what happened....inquiring minds want to know?

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 05:40:02 PM »
Looking good! My father in law has a buffalo ranch that the pasture surrounds 3 sides of my wife and I's yard and in 18 years have never gotten my hands on ribs, brisket or tri-tip... I am really looking forward to your end results!

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 10:31:11 PM »
hehee, well, the night kinda got away from me after the meal.  Little too much vino mixed with a smidge of JD.  I think there was an illicit Led Zeppelin Rock Band session that didn't end well for anyone.  Think I ruined one of my Jason Bonham concert shirts to boot.  Won't know if the wife is still speaking to me until morning.  HOWEVER, I do know that she LOVED the ribs as I much as I did:

Buff was very good.  Not too dry at all.  I was mopping it every hour on the hour.  I believe the cook went just a little over 4 hours.   

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 10:48:48 PM »
Found one more shot on my phone that I'm pretty sure I took just before I pulled the ribs off the grill (based on the state of the snake):

Gotta say, I was more than a little skeptical of the snake method, but with the top and bottom vents just open a hair it stayed at a consistent 250 the whole cook.  At least that's what the lid thermo told me.  Gonna have to pick up an oven thermo at some point.  Might have to invest in a couple of flower arrangements to convince the missus we really need one of those blue tooth dealy-o's. 

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 08:51:53 AM »
Buffalo ribs... Man I'd love to get my hands on something like that...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 09:31:05 AM »
Just over 4 seems about right....the equivalent in beef would be just a tad beyond that....looks great !!!

Sorry about your T-shirt !!!!