Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Snake method on 26.75" kettle  (Read 3480 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Snake method on 26.75" kettle
« on: May 04, 2015, 05:39:38 PM »
Recently picked up a 26.75" kettle and looking forward to the increased capacity when cooking. I have recently 'mastered' the snake on my 22.5" kettle. I realize the same idea translates but am unsure of the snake size, amount of lit briquettes, etc..
'
One thing I found in a thread is using a charcoal grate from a 22.5" to lower it to increase distance between heat and food. Not sure if this actually does anything but worth mentioning I suppose.

Anyone have suggestions on obtaining around 250?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:42:11 PM by jdefran »

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: Snake method on 26.75" kettle
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 06:13:31 PM »
Snake setup for a 22 is 2wide 1 high
Snake setup on a Ranch is 3 wide 2 high
So I'm guessing on a 26 2 wide 2 high or 3 wide 1 high would be on the money if your using briquettes, 15 to 20 lit at the start of the snake should get you up to temp quick
Here's one I setup in the Ranch but it didn't quite get hot enough, it's 2 high 2 wide
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 06:29:07 PM »
I think in terms of about a 12~15% increase, not a huge amount different than 22"

This was 2/ 1/ chips of lump & wood for ribs...

didn't get a clean shot of the lit start, but just a bit more, 15~20 like Hogsy says....

I let it go for just a little longer pre-meat to heat the bell better.....keep in mind, this is a 3wheeler, with a One touch you can let in more air easily.....

About 260+ for the duration....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 05:14:52 AM »
Thank you for confirming my approach and providing some insight. I'll just let 'er rip this weekend and see what happens.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 07:32:40 AM »
I never put that much thought into it.  I just dump my charcoal into a semicircle and shuffle it around until it is pretty much even.  Light it and go.  Do the rest with the vents. 

A 26er works awesome as a smoker.  Its my goto for brisket and small batches of ribs.
-Keith

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 08:01:31 AM »
Hey @jdefran see also this recent thread: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/snake-method-on-26'-kettle/msg0/#new

;)

Now, we wanna see some cooks!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 08:58:02 AM »
Hey @jdefran see also this recent thread: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/snake-method-on-26'-kettle/msg0/#new

;)

Now, we wanna see some cooks!
I might be going crazy..kinda forgot I started a similar thread.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 09:17:23 AM »
No way man, that other one was 3/4" different!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch