Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2nd Time Ever Smoking (with coal)  (Read 1811 times)

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
2nd Time Ever Smoking (with coal)
« on: April 19, 2015, 06:13:22 AM »
I've only owned my new MT for a few weeks and although I've done a ton of cooks, this is only my 2nd time trying a smoke.
Spare ribs were on sale they got the call. I removed the skirt (snack) and sternum.

I had a ton of KBB leftover from night before cook so I just knocked off the ash and pushed them into a bank/snake method. Added pecan for smoke. Used some lump to start my snake.

Tucked in on the kettle.

The used KBB worked great and I never had to add more fuel or smoke. However with the unevenness of my snake I did run into a spike about half way. Next time I will line up the coal in a more even fashion.

Had extra space so I threw on some boneless thighs for lunch. Notice the skirt is now gone and it was great!

Thighs were seasoned with standard GSP with paprika. They came out good but some of the smaller ones were a bit dry. Lesson learned.

I used Magic Dust for the rub and Stubbs original for a light glaze.

And the money shot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 2nd Time Ever Smoking (with coal)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 06:24:19 AM »
Excellent cookup !!!

That's a good way to cut the big ones out....snacks plus done a bit more evenly....Good Show all the way man ...... 8) 8) 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 09:44:44 AM »
Nice new MT, ribs look great!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »
Good looking ribs, for the chicken i found that if you put the smaller pieces further away from the main heat works good.  Oh and on the KBB make sure your K's are all right side up it will even the heat out and in what direction did you light your snake, clockwise or counter clockwise?  ;D ;D ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 10:41:02 AM »
Love that money shot. The Black MT looks beauty too.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

IQ2

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »
Chicken and ribs look great!! I feel so stupid, we were cleaning up after last nights Q and wife grabs the Chimney starter and says oh will it fit under the Q and we both looked at each other and said Nope. I see you turned it on its side and stored it just fine underneath. just wait until I show her your Pic :)

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 12:27:49 PM »
Good looking ribs, for the chicken i found that if you put the smaller pieces further away from the main heat works good.  Oh and on the KBB make sure your K's are all right side up it will even the heat out and in what direction did you light your snake, clockwise or counter clockwise?  ;D ;D ;D

Since I live north of the equator, I had to run my snake clockwise. Everyone knows that fire won't run counterclockwise up here.  :P

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 12:31:28 PM »
Chicken and ribs look great!! I feel so stupid, we were cleaning up after last nights Q and wife grabs the Chimney starter and says oh will it fit under the Q and we both looked at each other and said Nope. I see you turned it on its side and stored it just fine underneath. just wait until I show her your Pic :)

Haha - yeah, actually the baskets fit under there, too. I left them upstairs when I moved the kettle below the screened porch due to the weather... otherwise, they'd be stacked next to the chimney.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 12:31:53 PM »

Since I live north of the equator, I had to run my snake clockwise. Everyone knows that fire won't run counterclockwise up here.  :P
;D ;D ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »
Also, does anyone know why my pics are so gigantic compared to others? This was my first pic post and I thought it went well until I just viewed from my pc....

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 01:32:51 PM »
Also, does anyone know why my pics are so gigantic compared to others? This was my first pic post and I thought it went well until I just viewed from my pc....

Oh my gawd......I didn't notice !!!!

That's the BIGGEST PORK RIB I'VE EVER SEEN !!!!!!

No really......depends on what size you take / store & upload them at......those seem to be showing
1024 x 768, which is pretty good for clarity & crispness.......

If it's Photobucket, you can chose what size they load at.....the next one down is 600 x 800 which is still a pretty decent size.....
Here's how you change it:

Go to your account, the little head shape, upper right....
drop down that menu & go to Settings...choose the BOX "Albums" & down  lower on that list is "Customize Upload Options", click & that gives you the choices....just make sure it gives you the Success banner before you go back to what you're doing........

Also, Photobucket has been known to NOT do what it says in this reguard once in awhile...check it against one of these you already posted & see if it's a bit smaller......

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
Hahaha thx man! As always, you're very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 04:32:18 PM »

Pork....counter-clockwise....it's the law ........... 8)   (or at least a strong suggestion)

There's sort of an explanation about halfway down in this thread....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/something-different/

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 04:35:47 AM »
@1buckie  Well I definitely do not want to rip any holes in spacetime... well, actually maybe I do someday, but for now I'll gladly follow your theory.... However, if my wife starts complaining about the toilet water flushing the opposite way, I'm sending her your way... ;P

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 05:11:19 AM »
My wife can explain it all to her.....she's got a million tall tales & one-liners...... 8)