Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red 18 getting some work  (Read 1303 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Red 18 getting some work
« on: April 14, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »
My wife's killer Lasagna with pepperoni and Italian sausage . I didn't want the bottom to burn so I used a charcoal pan out of an old MECO smoker thinking that would diffuse the direct heat on the bottom and it worked , only it worked to well lol .

This is a great set up for smoking , not for baking I discovered . I could only get to about 260 -280 with this pan over the coals , but I opted to let it bake a while at this temp anyway before I removed the pan ..

I shot up to close to 400 after removing the pan from the coals , the dish cooked great I added a chunk of applewood to finish and that gave the Lasagne a nice wood fired pizza flavor .

Stuffed Pork chops

Made a stuffing out of sourdough bread , Apple , walnuts , bacon and onion , added cheddar cheese as a binder with some chicken broth to moisten it all up .

Should have made more stuffing then I did , these chops were huge .

I used one chunk of pear wood and a bit of apple chips for quick smoke , I smoked these for about an hour at 250 or so and then  finished them hot and fast .

" Esto Perpertua "
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:47:44 AM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Red 18 getting some work
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 09:54:35 AM »
Interesting. Wondering what would happen if you drilled a few holes in the middle and several in the surrounding bowl sides. More heat coming out of the sides?

So for the chops, did you turn it over and put coals inside? That's what it looks like.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Red 18 getting some work
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 10:10:43 AM »
Different cook different day , but yeah I use that pan from time to time in the colored kettles to protect the bowl sides and for ease of cleanup .

" Esto Perpertua "

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 10:47:11 AM »
Nice lookin' chops and lasagne Ida, and sweet pic of the red casting a shadow onto the deck! Looks like a very successful cook all round 8)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:49:05 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 10:52:17 AM »
I like the diffuser idea......toying with these ideas are a major part of why I like being at WKC....good show !!!

The chops & other goods look pretty sweet.....need to do up some like that soon.....maybe after breakfast...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »
Nice lookin' chops and lasagne Ida, and sweet pic of the red casting a shadow onto the deck! Looks like a very successful cook all round 8)

that shot was from spring break, we stayed at a buddies cabin and got 3 picture postcard days

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 11:33:46 AM »
mmm good!
May The Smoke Be With You!