Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lid Fit  (Read 5769 times)

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
Lid Fit
« on: April 09, 2015, 04:54:57 AM »
How tightly should a NIB lid fit on the kettle? I have a handful of kettles and all the lids fit pretty nicely. No rocking, just nice and snug on all four sides. I ordered a Crimson OTG and when I put the lid on it was tight on two sides and rocked a bit the other way. I call Weber, the Rep is helpful and gives me a few tips to put it back in to round. She tells me to lay it on a flat surface and push down on the top of the lid. It doesn't help, I call back, she tells me they'll send me a new one. Cool.
It gets here and it's  exactly the same.  :-[ It's not a bad rock, and I'm wondering if it'll change when I cook on it, get a good seal on the rim, etc. Or is this something I should call about again? I don't want to be a PITA if I don't need to be. Is this a 2015 issue, with the new vent placement? I feel like the lid vent isn't all that great a fit on both of them either. Thoughts? Thanks, grillfellas!
Growing family = growing kettles!

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
Re: Lid Fit
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 05:06:24 AM »
I have a 2015 MT and my lid fits perfect. I don't think you're a PITA if you call back... good luck!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 05:12:51 AM »
... it was tight on two sides and rocked a bit the other way.

Not sure I follow here; what happens if you rotate the lid? Does the issue move with lid position?

... It gets here and it's  exactly the same ...

I'm guessing the issue doesn't rotate with lid position.

I'm not suggesting you should have had the kettle instead of the lid swapped, but maybe that's the cause. A neighbor's new MasterTouch seems fine? So I don't know it's "a 2015 thing."

The only 22.5" machine I have is a '92. To me the lid's diameter is a little too large. I place it down and have to slowly slide it around a bit to find where it lands. My dad has a '06 and the lid fits like a glove. This is partly why his cools down to cold in 30mins and 2 hrs after the cook mine's still very warm. :(

I think what I'm trying to say is that building up some grease gunk on the rim and on the lid isn't going to seal it necessarily. Maybe look into that insulating stuff WSM owners sometime use?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 05:15:26 AM »
measure the bowl and see if it`s out of round

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 05:17:42 AM »
I have a 2015 MT and my lid fits perfect. I don't think you're a PITA if you call back... good luck!

And Saugust if you wind up with an extra lid and extra kettle let's talk!

No, that would be bad. Seriously, call me.

I mean it, don't do it. I'll be waiting.

Don't even think about reselling them. Click the PM button.

Nobody wants your bent kettle and lid. Not suggesting any possible deal that involves me getting them soon. Very soon.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 05:40:21 AM »
It sounds to me like either your lid or the bowl(s) are out of round. Measure both, and if you find one dimension longer than the other, use the tried-and-true WKC 'bear hug'.  Rest the long dimension side against your chest, then reach across and give steady, gentle pressure to gradually bring that thing back into round. 

(I think metal needs to be 'over-flexed' to change it's dimension, so I'm not sure that laying a lid on a flat surface and pushing down will actually correct the problem.  However, if you do have a 'true' (perfectly flat) surface, it will tell you if the rim of the lid or bowl 'rocks' and is out of spec.)
One of the charcoal people.

Sauce

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 06:01:45 AM »
I have a 2015 kettle and the lid fits perfectly. Like mentioned above, when I close the vents, it's sealed well and is cooled down quickly. Yours sounds out of round. 

Sauce
'07 WSM 18.5", '15 Blue Performer Deluxe, '07 Genesis E-310 gasser, Jumbo Joe, Go Anywhere charcoal.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 07:13:02 AM »
Sounds like your bowl is out of round as TexasOnion suggests. With some sort of measuring device figure where it is out and hug it.....don't lay it on the ground and push though. If that doesn't work call Weber.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 10:18:40 AM »
Thanks for all the advice, fellas. Here's the odd part (to me): Weber also sent me a new bowl because I wasn't thrilled about the paint work on the leg sockets or handles. I tried both lids on both bowls and the lids both rocked a bit at the same place on the lids (from vent to thermometer) on both bowls pretty much all the way around the bowl. I'll have to measure the bowls as MrHoss suggested and see if that's the issue.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 04:26:17 AM »
UPDATE

Called CS again. We talked for quite a while. Took some measurements, did a few different things. They decided it was the bowl and they're sending a new one. The rep at CS even went and checked out the 2015 Crimson OTG they have on display and said the lid rocked on that too but her supervisor said it was "supposed to be that way." She was skeptical because the other grill she looked at the lid was fine. I'm pretty well convinced it's the lid. I set the bowl upside down on a flat surface and it's good. Do the same with the lids and they rock. I'd be interested in trying a 2014 lid with the different vent placement. I guess we'll see!