Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lamb, Pork & RED  (Read 1428 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Lamb, Pork & RED
« on: April 07, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »
I did this cook on Easter Sunday and finally had the chance to post it up.

I went to Costco to see what I could find. I wanted to try something different and settled on these two hunks of meat. A boneless leg of lamb and a rack of pork. I never noticed the rack of pork at Costco before.

I poked around online and found a lamb recipe that looked safe. (I have never cooked lamb before) The rub is greek oregano, white pepper and kosher salt. Before I tied it up, I put some small pieces of cubed butter on and squeezed the juice of a whole lemon on too.

I cooked it at roughly 350 for a bit over an hour (I think) and planned on pulling it off, once it reached 130 internal. I put a chunk of apricot on the grill, but didn't get it over the hot spot, so it didn't really add much. In the end, it tasted great, and that's all that really matters.

Getting close! I basted it a few times, with leftover rub, more lemon juice and olive oil.

Meanwhile, The rack of pork got similar treatment. I marinated this in “Grill Mates” garlic, herb and white wine seasoning. I doubled the water and oil, to dilute it a bit and cover the rack a bit more. A chunk each of cherry and apple were used on this one. Cooked around 300 for about two hours (I think)

Oh, this was the first cook, in my back yard, for this awesome red!

Lookin GOOD!!!

The grills were cooperating quite nicely today. Family, friends, nice weather and super fresh craft brew...

We removed the pork, once it hit 145 internal. Both the lamb, and the pork, were done at almost the same time (LUCK) and were wrapped in foil, while we finished up the sides. My good friend, Chris, took over and grilled a bunch of red peppers and zucchini. He drizzled the remaining sauce, from the lamb, on the veggies.

This is the only real pic we got of the meal, as everything came together very quickly and everyone was ready to eat!

I wish I took time to get a good shot of the lamb, cause it came out very well too. A couple of things deserve an extra comment. First, the rack of pork was outfreakingstanding. The lamb was a hit with everyone too, but the pork, including the ribs, really stole the show. Lastly, the red MBH was very easy to work with and can see why they are appealing to the “low and slow” kettle cookers.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed the pics!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Lamb, Pork & RED
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 07:29:34 PM »
"Lastly, the red MBH was very easy to work with and can see why they are appealing to the “low and slow” kettle cookers."

Beginning to make sense, eh?

Outstanding Cookup on all counts !!!!!!

I like the red bells in the red bowl idea !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:15:18 PM »
The food looks great but the red is gorgeous! I can almost smell the lamb!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 06:13:57 PM »
As a lover of red heads, I hardly even noticed the food, but then I looked again great cook!

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 08:13:52 PM »
Awesome cook and gear!  That Redhead is sure sweet [emoji106]

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 04:27:27 AM »
AWSOME cook! Beautiful redhead!