Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kinda screwed up first brisket....  (Read 3145 times)

docchiro

• Smokey Joe
Kinda screwed up first brisket....
« on: April 14, 2015, 04:39:14 PM »
Well I just got my 26'r a couple of weeks ago. I had already done about 5 or 6 cooks, put only chicken, burgers and chops. This was my first brisket ever. I injected with beef broth, rubbed thin layer of mustard and applied dry rub. I used a store bought rub (salt lick brand original rub.) 9lb brisket smoked for almost 9 hours. Had a pretty annoying plateau at 156 for about an hour and a half. Anyway, rested it for almost 2 hours in foil. Brisket came out juicy and tender. I was pretty proud of that, but dang was it spicy and salty! To the point that it didn't taste good and I'm a Cajun that loves his spicy food. I checked the rub and it wasn't labeled as a spicy rub. I used applewood for the smoke. So what could I have done wrong? The only thing I can think of is I put WAY too much rub, but I thought I was suppose to apply as much as would stay stuck to it.....I'm guessing that's wrong, but how do you guys gauge ho much is too much on the rub? Any help would be great since I'm going to try again in 2 weeks....

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kinda screwed up first brisket....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 05:07:27 PM »
If I over-use apple, it's kinda sharp....could be a part of it?
It's nice & mild, but sometimes I get carried away.....

Some commercial rubs can be pretty salty, but I've heard good review on that one....maybe too heavy?

Most recent was this:

Sorta heavy, but not on the bacon salt....pretty thin coat 1st, then the other stuff....

Came out pretty good...a bit sharp, but the wife & Ma liked it, so that's the testers....
The dawgs LOVED it & they get picky if things are too spicy / salty....Bruno was vibrating to get at this stuff.. :o

I kind of go medium so the fats in the meat mix & melt the rub....found if it's too thick,
the good goo doesn't get a chance to work it's magic as well.....kinda mixed & melted on the done piece.....

Help any?

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

docchiro

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »
Well I'm not sure. I used the snake method and had it wrapped around 3/4 of the kettle. I did use 7 pieces of apple wood chunks, but only 4 were of decent size. I did take some random pics from beginning to end, but I'm not sure how to post pics yet. I would imagine I went overboard with the rub. I basically kept adding till it wouldn't stick to the brisket anymore. I'll see if I can post some up

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 05:19:31 PM »
See how he does it in the "Brisket" section of these videos.....

http://www.pbs.org/food/web-shows/bbq-with-franklin/

This goes straight to that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

It's on there, but not packed to the gills....more sparse than my pics but some.....

More likely it was the rub than the wood.....

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 05:23:22 PM »
Here's a thing on posting pics....if you have a Photobucket thing set up already, it's pretty easy, if not, it's free & doesn't take too much to get it going...we can help either way....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/kettle-club-discussions/how-to-post-pictures-here-at-the-wkc/

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »
Re-read & one other possibility might be the beef broth....regular or low sodium?

I think you can get either & the low salt would be better for this 'cause as it cooks, the flavor concentrates some...

Most likely the wood didn't have much to do with it as long as it burned clean & it sounds like it did..... ;D

docchiro

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 05:42:32 PM »
Awesome. I think you're right. Grilling some salmon as we speak. I'll look at the videos and set up photobucket after dinner. Thanks!!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 08:49:01 AM »
+1 on @1buckie low sodium beef broth. I doubt this contributed to the salt, but I don't use mustard anymore. Even if you pat the meat dry with paper towels everything will still stick just fine and I find the mustard to be a mess that doesn't contribute to the final product.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 09:15:32 AM »
probably the rub.
i've found that most rubs found in stores are ridiculously salty and spicy. I think they were designed to be used very lightly.

i stick to BPS, simply marvelous, and oak ridge bbq rubs now (aside from a few that I mix myself)

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 10:33:49 AM »
Hey @docchiro , that plateau you experienced is called "the stall" and apparently is pretty common with brisket. Aaron talks about it in the 2nd video after the one that @1buckie posted earlier in this thread. My work buddy did a brisket this weekned and had the same stall at 150 that drove him to pull out 3 different therms...

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 01:57:37 PM »
I learned from a class given by Harry Soo that taste your rub before hand for saltiness and taste after it's done and yea the beef broth should be low sodium.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 04:15:24 PM »
Had to be the rub. I bought some seasoning for chicken and it was too much. I did chicken today and used a rub,came out I put too little. Last time I did brisket I used a recipie from Stubbs and was awesome .what I'm saying is sometimes the best rubs are ones that you make or get for that product via a recipe  vs using a universal one.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

docchiro

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 01:04:33 PM »
i stick to BPS, simply marvelous, and oak ridge bbq rubs now (aside from a few that I mix myself)

BPS?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »

BPS?
Apologies. Big poppa smokers