Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cheesesteaks on the Stok Griddle  (Read 2129 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Cheesesteaks on the Stok Griddle
« on: March 30, 2015, 09:23:41 AM »
I received my Stok griddle last week.  I had a chance to try it last night.  Earlier in the day, I was at TJ's and saw this:

This really called out to the lazy in me.

Heated the griddle up to 500 or so and threw on peppers, onions, steak, cheese, and buttered french rolls. 

For my first cheasesteaks, I think they turned out really well.  Similar or better to the cheeesteaks I can buy here on the left coast.  I don't have a frame of reference for an actual Philly produced CS.  I think they like whiz and no peppers.

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cheesesteaks on the Stok Griddle
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »
Very nice!!
Looks like you broke it in nicely :)
Even those I have several larger size griddles, I like having this option for traveling. This way I can just take one grill and use this griddle on it for breakfast and the grill for dinner :) And I wouldn't have to carry a big stove just for the griddle.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:38:45 AM »
Very nice!!
Even those I have several larger size griddles, I like having this option for traveling. This way I can just take one grill and use this griddle on it for breakfast and the grill for dinner :) And I wouldn't have to carry a big stove just for the griddle.

It would be nice if it had a little more of a lip.  I lost quite a few veggies over the edge. 

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »
Fine looking sandwiches there!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 01:33:35 PM »
Very nice!!

It would be nice if it had a little more of a lip.  I lost quite a few veggies over the edge.

The Little Griddle Kettle Q, with its sides, might work better in that regard, but it's SS, not CI. http://www.littlegriddle.com/Kettle-Q-Stainless-Steel-Griddle-p/kq17r.htm
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »
@ClubChapin
I thought the same too; a bigger lip would be nice.
I’m going to try using a 22.5 WSM firering on it next time and see how it works. Although if you work the food towards the center when stirring you should be OK.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »

That Kettle Q looks pretty close.  If only it had a CI bottom.  I had one for my gasser that I never used.  It probably works fine.

The WSM ring looks good, but I would need an oppening to work with my turner, similar to this: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/dexter-russell-16311-8-x-3-perforated-turner-beechwood-handle/69333730.html

There was a guy on here hawking a griddle (mojoe) a couple months ago.  That had a lip you could add.  A nice feature.  that griddle looked good, I think steel, I liked that it was higher than the kettle, but didn't like that it had no lip to catch grease.  (His add on lip looked like it would be good for pushing food up against, not catching grease.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:00:11 PM by ClubChapin »

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 02:10:41 PM »
I have the larger turners as well, but I used the Teppanyaki turners (on the right) yesterday and they worked better in that small space.

I’ll reserve the larger ones for my monster griddle :)

Camadile

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 08:05:53 PM »

That Kettle Q looks pretty close.  If only it had a CI bottom.  I had one for my gasser that I never used.  It probably works fine.

The WSM ring looks good, but I would need an oppening to work with my turner, similar to this: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/dexter-russell-16311-8-x-3-perforated-turner-beechwood-handle/69333730.html

There was a guy on here hawking a griddle (mojoe) a couple months ago.  That had a lip you could add.  A nice feature.  that griddle looked good, I think steel, I liked that it was higher than the kettle, but didn't like that it had no lip to catch grease.  (His add on lip looked like it would be good for pushing food up against, not catching grease.)

Hi!  That guy was me!  The "no lip/not catching grease" thing is on purpose!  A wad of paper towels works great at sopping up excess grease but not cooking food in a pool of grease has its advantages.  Cleaning the Mojoe after cooking takes less than 30 seconds.

Cam