Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Late 90s Genesis 300..worth restoring?  (Read 3667 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Late 90s Genesis 300..worth restoring?
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
Traveling this weekend and came across this listing: http://orlando.craigslist.org/for/4935088849.html

It's actually been up for a few weeks and the price dropped from $150. The ad previously mentioned the seller was moving, so maybe there's another $50 to drop.

I've inquired to find out about the writing on the lid..

What are your thoughts?

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Re: Late 90s Genesis 300..worth restoring?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:08:14 AM »
Suppose I meant to say 3000 in the title..

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 09:35:21 AM »
I did a lot of watching and pricing on an older Genesis this winter, too. I don't think this is a bad price at all. You can maybe hold out and wait for a 'give away' score, but many times there are parts missing or shot. Many of the ones I looked at were missing one or both of the warming racks or drip pan holders. Often, no LP tank is included, and that's $15 - $20 right there for a used one. If flavorizer bars are still useable for at least a little while, then that's another $35 saved. And this one you're looking at seems pretty clean and the paint on the frame looks quite good. I did finally pick up a RED one a few weeks ago. It will clean up very nicely and make a beautiful restore. But the black on the lower box and the frame is very badly faded and will need to get repainted and probably sand-blasted (just to do it up right). The wood is in very good condition. The main igniter is shot (broken apart) so that'll have to be replaced. VERY dirty over-all (probably most extreme clean-up job I've ever done!). I paid $80 and feel I made a very good buy. But I'm sure I'll have more than your $100 in it just by replacing the igniter and missing warming racks.
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:58:13 AM »
Depends ... does Vera come with it?

A 3-burner plum-colored with a side burner is a mighty fine grill, in a frame that "coordinates" with a SS Performer. Full tank saves you $20-$40 ... money you'll put towards new grates/flavorizors.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 02:58:33 PM »
To me, looks like it needs a little clean up to me. Restore it when it starts to look ratty. Looks in great shape to me.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 06:51:27 AM »
It looks like Vera, the gills name, comes with an extra regulator. If you pick her up check the hose and fittings to make sure she dont spit fire at you.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 10:14:22 AM »
As long as the frame is in good shape, i.e. no rust, yes, it's a good candidate and a good price at $100.   The propane tank and the porcelain coated cast iron grates are worth that price alone.    New warming basket and shelf will cost about $30.   Only other things to look at really are the burner tubes and the flavorizer bars.   Don't worry if the tubes look rusty, that's just their nature.  Just make sure they are solid and not rusted through.  Same with the flavorizer bars.   If needed, you can pick up replacement burners and flavorizer bars on Ebay for much less than what Weber charges.    For the flavorizers, you'd need to decide if you want to go the cheap route and get some bars that will need to be replaced in 3-5 years, or grab a set from RCPlanebuyer that should last 10 years or more.

As Sramsey noted, the grill looks like it just needs to be cleaned up a little at this point.  If you want, you could mask off the grill box and paint it without removing it from the frame.   

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 06:23:27 AM »
That's a great deal. It's the deep bucket that has the criss cross flavorizers (13 total). If those are in good condition go for it.

+1 using Rcplanebuyer for replacements. I have them in my genesis 1000 and they rock.
WTB: Genesis Jr.