Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Corned beef, cabbage and carrots "hybrid cook"  (Read 932 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Corned beef, cabbage and carrots "hybrid cook"
« on: March 17, 2015, 03:51:34 PM »
"Hybrid" to me is a cross between traditional closed-cook (crock pot) and open-cook, grilled but still in a pan corned beef.

I cooked the beef in a disposable foil pan filled with 2 cups water. Kettle was at about 300 degrees for 3 hours, indirect and the pan sitting on a cast iron grill for support and heat dispersion. At the 2 hr mark I added a small chimney of lump to supplement the 1 chimney of Coshell that had begun to wane. Swept the One Touch handle back and forth a bit to clear intakes.

Somewhere in the last 1/2 hr I added carrots to the pan, now nearly empty of water but still steaming somewhat. I directly grilled a head of cabbage, sliced into eighths, spread around the available grate perimeter, for 10 minutes. I was hoping for grill marks but didn't get them; they were indirect and I should have placed them on the HEAT side instead. So I tossed them into the pan in hopes of getting some steam.

Here's that setup, can't see the carrots, cast iron grate/all food now moved over to direct:

I loosely covered the pan with foil and cooked another 15 mins, again to capture a little steam for the veggies. Here that is sans foil at the table:

Good news/bad news.

The meat was tremendous in flavor (in my opinion; not too salty) but because it wasn't fall-apart loose, my wife was "meh." (Corned beef is one her all-time favs but only when done in a crock pot and basically boiled within an inch of its life. I was willing to risk a new outcome ...) Ditto the cabbage; she had to steam it for like 15 mins on the stove before she'd touch it. Carrots had a nice crunch though. Some cooked more than others but all very nice. Even the kids dealt with them OK.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Corned beef, cabbage and carrots "hybrid cook"
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »
I realize that's a lot of cabbage but the leftover will get used for "ground beef and cabbage," another staple around here.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »
Hey it's all about the flavor anyway! Looks good to me!

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 04:45:30 AM »
" (Corned beef is one her all-time favs but only when done in a crock pot and basically boiled within an inch of its life).

YUK!!!  I can't see Corned Beef and a Crock Pot teamed up.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962