Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: favorite season salts  (Read 1391 times)

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
favorite season salts
« on: February 17, 2015, 07:24:29 AM »
just wanted a thread for us to post our favorite season salt mixes

not rubs or stuff, just that shaker we seem to use all the time with our basic season salt

here is mine, it is a bit of a rip off of Lawry's season salt, with no MSGs, yea sorry guys Lawry's puts MSGs in their mix, so I cloned it ( sort of, I tweaked it a bit)

So

1/3 cup sea salt (fine)
2 teaspoon corn starch
2 teaspoons confectioners sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon celery seed crushed
2 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoon garlic powder

mix well and store a month to let the spices combine flavors with each other

so, what is yours?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:26:38 AM by Jammato »
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: favorite season salts
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 04:04:06 PM »
I don't have a favorite other than smoking my own sea salt.  That looks like a nice recipe.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »
Penzey's 4S is phenomenal. It's great on everything from steaks to asparagus. Love it. Don't have the exact recipe/measurements to make it myself, but according to their website, it is "Hand-mixed from: coarse sea salt, sugar, special extra bold black pepper, paprika, onion, turmeric, garlic, spice extractives (including oleoresin of paprika, black pepper, celery, rosemary and thyme)."
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:51:43 AM »
my favorite seasoned salt is BY FAR the smoked hatch chili salt that @jamesnomore sent me.

my 2nd favorite is the special salt from Beefaroo, back in Rockford IL.
I'm not sure whats all in it, but I think the main ingredient is celery salt. Delicious stuff.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 01:22:57 PM »
my favorite seasoned salt is BY FAR the smoked hatch chili salt that @jamesnomore sent me.

^X2 that stuff has such amazing flavour! I've been rationing a tiny bag for a couple months now lol. Ask BEG! him to send you a bit of his latest Indian inspired creation, it's right up there as well!

both @LightningBoldtz and @Winz also spoiled me with some smoked sea salts that are out of this world. Those only get used for special occasions ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:24:42 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:47:55 PM »
@Jammato I must've missed this (obviously) but I do have a pretty amazing salt combo using dried green hatch peppers that is out of this world. If you want some I just ask you send me something you enjoy, it helps me explore new options. Commercial or homemade makes no difference to me...

Thanks @Troy  and @SixZeroFour for the kind words. Both of these men make a rub that is competition worthy that I'm lucky to have gotten.
WTB: Genesis Jr.