Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: **Kebab-O-Lator v1.0**  (Read 4030 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
**Kebab-O-Lator v1.0**
« on: February 23, 2015, 07:06:30 PM »
OK- I am inspired by the creativity of some of the Kebab setups floating around here-(BBCue-z's, Spinnari's and others)

So, I called my friend BOB and picked his brain about a skewer system that would be an addition to the Rib-O-Lator. He had some ideas, and pumped this out and gave it to me to try.

I just thought I'd share it here and gather some feedback.  Its got to back to the drawing board for some tweaking, but BOB already has come up with a few other prototypes with removable skewers etc, etc. So, here it is v1.0.

Charcos Coconut shell briqs, 1 Char-Basket full. Cherry Mojobrick Qube for smoke on the Performer-Cajun Bandit rotis ring.

1lb. each of boneless chicken thighs and Pork sirloin marinated for 24 hours in Stubb's Marinades (Chicken & Pork) skewered offset to avoid cross contamination

Grilled at 400* @ 40 minutes (I was peeking)

They turned out OK, I'm sick of Stubb's chicken marinade, the pork chunks had a little smoke ring.

The skewers need to be closer together, the meat rubbed against the spit rod. Removable skewers would be a MUST.

I was raised to not play with my food and clean my plate, due to the starving children in China, so I'm making up for it now!

Any feedback appreciated, I'd like to incorporate it onto the ROL, so this is likely the last time I will use this design, so if there is anything you'd like to see, post it here!

Stay Hungry!

Brian
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: **Kebab-O-Lator v1.0**
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:08:59 PM »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »
That looks like it works perfectly, very nice job swamp!

Is that Charcos charcoal available locally or do you order it in? good stuff?
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:18:09 PM »
Stubb's chicken & pork marinade are not for me either...they're good in a way, but are pretty spicy for what they need to do (pork anyway)

"I was raised to not play with my food and clean my plate, due to the starving children in China, so I'm making up for it now!"

~~> My signature line at Smoke Ring:

Have Fun Playin' with Yer Food !!!
"Dam Silly Sumbitch"-- Myron Mixon
"I will prevail. No pig will ever get the better of me." ~~> Italian Skewer
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"

Wanna start a club?

That's not bad for a 1st mock-up.....see what you mean about the proximity of skewers though.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 07:36:37 AM »
More pics of the device unloaded please. Got y head spinning
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:58:18 AM »
Great job! Looks tasty

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 03:10:06 PM »
Very innovative my friend!!
Try these Kabob wheels

Each wheel has 6 skewers and serves the same purpose. It also fits perfectly on the Kettle Rotis. You can get them at Amazon.com.
I noticed that you were cooking using indirect method. I personally prefer the direct method when using a similar setup. Since the Kabobs are constantly moving and the meat is cut into small pieces, nothing gets burned and the kabob brown evenly on all sides.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
Great idea on the skewers.

Mm

Spinarri

• Smokey Joe
    • www.spinarri.com
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 01:09:50 PM »
@swamprb
I'm glad to see you are working on your own skewer grilling project, it is addictive - I know. :)

Ettore Spinarri

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 04:04:34 PM »
Very innovative my friend!!
Try these Kabob wheels
Each wheel has 6 skewers and serves the same purpose. It also fits perfectly on the Kettle Rotis. You can get them at Amazon.com.
I noticed that you were cooking using indirect method. I personally prefer the direct method when using a similar setup. Since the Kabobs are constantly moving and the meat is cut into small pieces, nothing gets burned and the kabob brown evenly on all sides.
No longer available on Amazon, but try http://www.spotix.com/napoleon-rotisserie-shish-kebab-wheel.html
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)