Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My FIL wanted to smoke some pork belly  (Read 2140 times)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
My FIL wanted to smoke some pork belly
« on: February 16, 2015, 04:03:03 AM »
I've never had it before, other than bacon of course. Once we finally found a place that sold it as pork belly we decided to just smoke it with a simply rub. He didn't really give me much direction on how to make it so I'm not sure what he was looking for. This isn't the typical pan fried pork belly that you'd find at a fancy dining establishment. Below are pictures of the results. It was okay. He over hyped it for me so I was expecting more. It tasted even better the following day but this isn't something that I'd go out of my way to make. Unless I'm told a better way to make it of course.

I tried searing it first and then smoked it nice and slow with hickory wood chunks. Total time was about 3 hours.

-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

wyd

• WKC Ranger
Re: My FIL wanted to smoke some pork belly
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 10:27:21 AM »
Don't look bad.  What didn't you like about it as I never done pork belly so just trying to get your thoughts?

Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:46:05 AM »
If you want a king-hell rockin' thing to do with that....take a look a few pics down in this thread from Bretheren:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196927

Guy smokes the belly (over the top of a pan of chunked up beets, I might add...where I got the idea!!!), then stabs them on top of blocks of watermelon.....the whole first part of the thread is sterling royal BBQ......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:23:01 AM »
Don't look bad.  What didn't you like about it as I never done pork belly so just trying to get your thoughts?

I guess I wouldn't say that I didn't like it, but I was just expecting more from all the hype he gave it.

I shouldn't be surprised, this coming from a guy that likes my ham over my pulled pork. :)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:23:15 AM »
If you want a king-hell rockin' thing to do with that....take a look a few pics down in this thread from Bretheren:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196927

Guy smokes the belly (over the top of a pan of chunked up beets, I might add...where I got the idea!!!), then stabs them on top of blocks of watermelon.....the whole first part of the thread is sterling royal BBQ......

Woah!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »
Tim, when FIL says he wants something from the grill/smoker, he gets it too. Just makes sense to me

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 08:30:34 AM »

I guess I wouldn't say that I didn't like it, but I was just expecting more from all the hype he gave it.

I shouldn't be surprised, this coming from a guy that likes my ham over my pulled pork. :)
Thanks Tim.  We all have are favorites.  My wife would be with you as she likes when I grill up some ham. :D
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)