Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The proper snake  (Read 4587 times)

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
The proper snake
« on: February 11, 2015, 06:55:49 PM »
Ok BBQ gods, I need some advice. I have read countless threads on the snake method, but can someone explain it? Like, what wood, how many on the first (bottom) layer and top layer (is there a top layer)? What are my vent settings? How should I space  the wood? What rub? (Pork and beef ribs).  Any help is appreciated! 
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: The proper snake
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 07:14:34 PM »
I would do a dry run with no meat on the grill. I ended up doing a 2/1 (2 on the bottom, 1 on top) on a nice CA day where the temp was about 65 degrees and light breeze. Vents wide open. Wood chunks pretty much consistent with very little gaps, but I was going for heavy smoke. I used Kingsford blue bag.

I held 250-275 for 6 hours or so. If I went with more fuel and less oxygen (a 2/2 snake, for example, and intake vent shut down to 1/4 open) I think it would have burned longer.

Your results will depend on the fuel (briquettes vs lump, and each of those with different brands), air temp and wind... For the cheap price of charcoal relative to meat if you have the time do a dry run. If you don't have the time to test it out, I would go heavier on fuel and control temp with airflow.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 07:21:46 PM »
I found 2 great videos on YouTube for you
Do a search on you tube, Weber snake method, thwrewill pop up videos, click on the one by pitmaster x and the one by Aussie griller
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:25:49 PM »
I did a 5 hour cook today
2x2 snake vents choked quarter open
Used about 2/5ths around the kettle
225 to 275
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 01:44:53 AM »
VeeDub......

Here's a rundown that might be easy to follow.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/charcoal-snake-on-18'-kettle/

Another setup thread:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/rib-advice-please/msg91253/#msg91253

And a fun one from @addicted-to-smoke....one of my favorite experimenters here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/my-first-snake-baby-back-ribs/msg136683/#msg136683

Austin's real accurate there.....you can load the coals higher, like 2 + 2 and one on top & use less air.....or LESS fuel & more air (that's the way I like to go usually, all open vents & lower fuel pack)

The main thing that's needed is ENOUGH air coming thru for a clean burn that KEEPS MOVING.....watch for the top vent to be sort of "pushing" the smoke out a bit.....if not.....open the vents a little & watch what happens....make sense how I'm describing it?

For wood....depends....are you doing them both together?

the set in the link above was oak & apple combined.....sort of a lot of wood, that was beef & I like heavy smoke...if you like a lighter smoke flavor 2 or 3 chunks would be OK.....

Pork likes cherry, apple, pecan....a bit lighter woods...
Beef, hickory maybe mesquite (geez, did I just say mesquite?) or oak.....

Both together, maybe oak and....something lighter with it.....the oak gives you that ever-so-tasty smoke ring......(  :o 8) )

also agreed with Austin, if you have time for a test run, charcoal's much cheaper than meat.....set a pan of cold water on the cooking grate to simulate the cold meat.....

Rubs?

Here's some ideas:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/give-me-you-best-rib-rub-recipe-please/msg121102/#msg121102

Most folks go simple on beef ribs...salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder....or if you have something straightforward that you like on beef, try that....

pork,

I've used everything from basil jelly to Ethiopian berbere spice, but again, simple might be best....anything  you like on other pork things you've tried ?
People could chime in here with favorites...... 8)

Sometimes, what rub you pick could depend on if you're going to do the "Wrap Dance"  (not quite as good as a "Lap Dance", but close)....

Question #37: Wrap or no Wrap?

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 02:45:30 AM »
Buckie has pretty much touched on all of it, so I'll just say listen to what he has to say.   Just realize there are a lot of variables.  What the weather is like when you cook, (temperature and wind are the big ones), what is your fuel, briquettes vs lump, filler briquettes vs non-filler briquettes, how many lit briquettes are you starting with, etc etc. 

OHhhhh one thing I would add, is definitely have a drip pan filled with hot water when you go to cook your meat.  (Buckie's idea of having it cold to simulate cold meat for your test run is awesome, and this is different from that).  Having a drip pan with steaming hot water in it will definitely help keep your temps even.  Water is a HUGE heat sink, it absorbs a lot of thermal energy, specially when it boils.  When ever I do a snake I always have a drop pan filled with steaming hot water in there.  This is on the same level as the charcoal. so it sits in the middle of your snake basically. 

You can see my drip pan filled with water here

And this is one of my snakes set up during a spring/summer cook, You can see how I just layer the wood chunks ontop of the charcoal, basically making a third x1 layer of wood.

Buckie's idea of using the smaller pieces of lump as filler is a brilliant one, and one I really need to get in the habit of doing.

When it comes to the rubs, I like sweet for Pork.  There are a metric ton of rub recipes out there, and even more that you can buy pre-made.  I would maybe suggest trying some of them, and seeing what you like.  Do you have any bbq preferences already?  Like screw sweet give me the mouth searing tears inducing heat, or I want tangy with a bit of sweet.  If you have an idea of what you like I'm sure people can suggest rubs.

For me when it comes to Beef, I like keeping it simple and mostly sticking to a rub built with just salt and ground black pepper.  I do equal amounts by weight and just cover what ever beef I'm smoking in it.   Again though that is my preference, and yours might be different.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 04:23:40 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have had 3 failed attempts at smoking (for which I had to grill the meat, which didn't come out bad) so I thought I'd put it out there and see who can tell me the proper way to snake. Thanks to John, Jammato, Austin and of course, buckie for explaining the technique (to include video tutorials).

The rub I am after is just a simple, yet sweet, mostly brown sugar based, with 0 heat. I like hot, but that's for a different food. I have a rib sauce I found long ago for beef, but I am having a hard time for pork ribs. Again, thanks everyone!
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 06:52:48 AM »
The best advice I can give is not to stress over the temp and make adjustments to the vents every 5 min. It usually takes a good 20-30 min. for the kettle to settle in after a vent adjustment. Also if you have a hinged grate use it, place the hinged part over the end of your snake. If you have to add coals to extend your cooking time it's much easier without having to re-arrange everything. Good Luck!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 07:47:17 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have had 3 failed attempts at smoking (for which I had to grill the meat, which didn't come out bad) so I thought I'd put it out there and see who can tell me the proper way to snake. Thanks to John, Jammato, Austin and of course, buckie for explaining the technique (to include video tutorials).

The rub I am after is just a simple, yet sweet, mostly brown sugar based, with 0 heat. I like hot, but that's for a different food. I have a rib sauce I found long ago for beef, but I am having a hard time for pork ribs. Again, thanks everyone!

I have had 3 failed attempts at smoking

"The rub I am after is just a simple, yet sweet, mostly brown sugar based, with 0 heat."

Pork ribs....get some McCormick's Applewood Rub & add in some lt. brown or turbinado sugar....

turbinado needs to get ground finer than it comes, but is less likely to burn over the course of the cook.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 10:44:57 AM »

You might like the rub I make then, its a modified take on the 8,3,1 basic rub.

Which is 8 parts sugar, 3 parts salt, 1 part chilli powder.  I do this 8 parts brown sugar or turbinado sugar, 3 parts Kosher salt, 1 part hungarian paprika, 1 part chili powder.  then I make another part out of  1/4 part Garlic Powder, 1/4 part  Onion Powder, 1/4 part  Cumin, and 1/4 part Old Bay. 

I some times change it up here and there but that's the basic. I usually do my parts as 1/4 cup amounts

So it ends up being 2 cups brown sugar, 3/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup paprika, 1/4 chili powder, 3 teaspoons garlic powder, 3 teaspoons onion powder, 3 teaspoons cumin and 3 teaspoons old bay.

Give it a try I think you'll like it.