Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: **Robbing Peter to pay Paul** Then a change of heart!**  (Read 2813 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
**Robbing Peter to pay Paul** Then a change of heart!**
« on: February 06, 2015, 03:10:38 PM »
The Red "L" is getting pieced back together with some help from an "AU".

I kinda have the Blues about it, but my fever for Redheads is stronger!

More on the "L" from Hell!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/**craigslist-flakes-(or-truth-in-advertising)**/

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:34:27 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: **Robbing Peter to pay Paul**
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 04:11:01 PM »
The red looks great! I'm loving the dark grey handles on the reds, I noticed it on one of Six's Super Bowl pics, and now I'm thinking of changing my out. Looks great!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 04:19:52 PM »
Okay, so I just went back and checked, maybe it wasn't Six who had the grey handles on the red, but whoever it was...I like your handles (wow that sounds bad)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »
The wood handles just don't cut it in the Pacific Northwet. I can keep them covered with a garbage bag and premium cover and they still mildew. Same goes for cast iron, can't leave them in the grill without them flaking and rusting up even after seasoning.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: **Robbing Peter to pay Paul** Then a change of heart!**
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 02:52:17 PM »
Update**

I had second thoughts on sticking the Ash can assembly from the Blue "AU" on the Red "L". The leg sockets are spot welded at different angle than the later models I've dealt with. I didn't want to drill all 3 sockets to make it work, so the Blue has a new lease on life!
Found an older set of legs, Frisbee ash pan, swapped out some newer wheels, some rubbing compound elbow grease and things are looking new again ol' Red!

Blue cleaned up nicely as well!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 03:54:41 PM »
Looks Sharp !!!

that's a great pic with the way they're angled...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 03:58:45 PM »
Now both look great!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 04:10:54 PM »
My local bLowes, Home Despot, and Ace ("is the place with the clueless Hardware man")
Have a chitload of replacement grates and Mini chimneys, but nary a one of them have replacement handles or ash sweeps! WTF is up with that??

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 06:30:47 PM »
While cutting (dremelling) slots in the leg sockets is probably the best way, using hose clamps also works well. 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 07:36:30 PM »
While cutting (dremelling) slots in the leg sockets is probably the best way, using hose clamps also works well. 8)

I've cut notches on some leg sockets on mid to late 90's kettles with no problems, but the direction of the tabs that are spot welded are kind of offset, so cutting would not have worked.
And I had one hose clamp and used two cable ties to get a feel for that mod, but it compressed the ring into an oval and the pan wouldn't align without a hassle. I'll have to keep my eye out for an older OTG.