Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: **Flap Meat**  (Read 2336 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
**Flap Meat**
« on: January 28, 2015, 07:48:50 PM »
OK- so I'm working my way through the Serious Eats Food Lab series http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/steak-for-grill-best-cuts-to-know-grilling.html

This round is Flap Meat. The Restaurant Depot in Woodinville, WA had some small cryovacs of Australian Flap Meat, and I've gotten to know the Meat Mgr. and he said they usually come in 20+ lb packages, so I took advantage this deal.

Trimmed hard fat and removed the silver skin and ended up with some good looking meat.

Eyeballed them and cut in halves, ended up with two each 1.6 7 1.9 lb cuts.

Soaked one in Allegro Soy-Lime and Horseradish Marinade for a couple hours then grilled on the Genesis.

Brushed with a compound butter/Lemon/garlic and rested. Sliced in half with the grain.

Then sliced on the bias against the grain and served.

Its like a cross between skirt and flank steak and was very flavorful.  $4.69 lb is a decent price for such a great tasting cut.

Enjoy!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Re: **Flap Meat**
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 01:09:45 AM »
Great looking steak there!!
And a great deal too :)
I shop at restaurant Depot and never seen it there. I get mine at Costco, but they don’t consistently carry it.

I love Flap meat and you described its flavor accurately. I mostly use it for Fajitas.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:11:38 AM by BBcue-Z »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:08:33 PM »
Grate Lookin' Cookup !!!

Done up not too, too rare....just right......like the tart marinade too...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 09:33:44 AM »
Those trimmed up really nice.  I can smell it grill now and my mouth is watering.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 12:39:54 PM »
A friend of mine has a great recipe for flap meat. He marinates it in a mix of soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and minced ginger. He slices it into strips against the grain and threads the pieces onto skewers for the grill.

I think the mix is 50/50 between the soy sauce and vinegar, with enough brown sugar to make it slightly thick and syrupy.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 05:12:43 PM »
nice cook

I like to use a ancho chile paste on flap meat
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline