Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My performer table  (Read 2155 times)

jmbaute

• Happy Cooker
My performer table
« on: January 28, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »
Thought I'd share this as there isn't a lot of info out there about building a "built In" charcoal grill. I converted a ~2000 model Performer for this project (it had a stainless steel cart and gas ignition). I did a lot of research on many sites- there isn't a lot out there as the product is so good out of the box. (Special thanks to WKC mods who sent me a few example pics)

My main driver was that I wanted more counter space and a way to light the work area. I was also going for a more "built in" look- the gassers get all the glory in the outdoor kitchen world. Original plans included a sink but I scaled it back a little.

I designed it first using Sketchup. The frame is all cedar and the counter top is 1/2" plywood with hardie board and ceramic tile. I've got two battery operated spot lights for the work surface. May eventually run legit electric lights. It sits on 4 casters. There is flashing on the frame where it is close to the kettle, but in most spots there are several inches of clearance.

Cost of the project was about $300 not including the grill. Shockingly the custom cover I've ordered was closer to $500. But, I can't have it out there unprotected and I didn't want some crappy home made tarp covering it up.

More pics here:
http://imgur.com/a/kuAa7#0

*Posted 1 or 2 other places so I apologize if you are seeing it again. Just wanted to get the ideas out there for others to copy/adapt. Sketchup file available on request.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:21:18 AM by jmbaute »

GregS

• WKC Performer
Re: My performer table
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 11:47:39 AM »
welcome to the forums.

great looking cart!  (and yard)
I only use kettles with lid bales.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 11:50:54 AM »
Looks great!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 01:11:20 PM »
Tremendous fixup !!!!

If you still have the SS cart around, check into this:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/bisbee-mod-she-is-now-twice-the-grillsmoker/

Welcome Here !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 03:42:16 PM »
uncle jj has been looking for a ss  cart

jmbaute

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 07:59:36 PM »
Actually I had replaced the kettle a few years ago and found it when I went to store the cart....it is a little rough but now I have an extra performer minus the gas ignition. Will probably use it with a kettle pizza or just have a spare grill! Being a pack rat pays off sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk