Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Crooked K Restoration  (Read 2453 times)

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Crooked K Restoration
« on: January 07, 2015, 05:23:20 PM »
I have been meaning to post these pictures for a while. I still need to clean up the bottom and drill out the hole for the sweeps. Hoping it will all go back together. I have the original legs and wheels that I plan on putting back on at least to make sure everything fits before I replace anything else.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Before

After we my brother welded a patch plate in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
Re: Crooked K Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »
Big difference. It's looking good.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 06:08:52 PM »
That's a good brother. Keep at it and that baby will be cooking soon. Be sure and add some cook shots when you get to it.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 06:20:16 PM »
OUCH!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 11:58:20 AM »
If I convert this to a OTG do you think it will cover most of the repaired area? I know I still need to prime it and make sure the sweeps work properly but it wouldn't have to be as perfect. I just need to buy the ash catcher assembly and the sweeps. Are the stainless sweeps still out there? I need to take a closer look at the triangle and legs.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 03:12:09 PM »
Great work, so far!  That was destined for the scrap metal heap. 

Is it an 18"?  The older One-Touch 18s had longer intakes.

I converted my P code red 18 to a Gold.  The intakes go just a smidge outside of the ash ring.  I still converted it.  Works great.  :D

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/one-touch-vent-size/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 04:45:36 AM »
Yes, it is an 18. Awesome, that is what I am going to do then. I still have to try to smooth the surface, prime and paint but it won't be as visible. I will take a look at your post also.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 12:53:34 PM »
Here is the original thread with the full restoration.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/need-help-advice-guidance-with-this-red-18/

Sadly, the paint I used did not hold up over time. Part of the bowl now looks like this ...

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 05:10:25 PM »
Thanks, I am going to try smoothing the surface with blue magic quiksteel. Then painting with VHT 900 red caliper paint and see how it holds up. I figure there's only one way to find out if it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 06:27:40 AM »
Good luck, thats quite the rescue. 

Cook your brother many a meal when you are done!!
I only use kettles with lid bales.