Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Breaking in 18.5 WSM with Riblets  (Read 1253 times)

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
Breaking in 18.5 WSM with Riblets
« on: November 01, 2014, 04:32:15 PM »
Broke in the WSM today with some cheap Riblets. First WSM cook and first snake cook. Once I got it to temp it cruised at 220 on the lid for 5  hours. Not my prettiest cook but the oak and pecan came through nicely enough not to sauce them after a sample from the bottom rack.

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Breaking in 18.5 WSM with Riblets
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 04:37:43 PM »
I'll be across for a sample soon come.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 04:44:41 PM »
More details please about your snake. I have never tried it in the WSM, but love it in my kettle.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 05:09:51 PM »
More details please about your snake. I have never tried it in the WSM, but love it in my kettle.

I was kicking myself for not taking a picture of it. I had around 20 coconut shell charcoal briquettes given to me by my friend and neighbour MrHoss which i laid two by two around my ring in a horseshoe shape leaving a gap so only one side of the snake would ignite. I covered that with a good sized chimney of unlit lump and used 8 briquettes in a chimney to start it. Mr.Hoss recommended placing the oak and pecan wood chunks on the outside of the ring which produced very clean smoke. early i had just the front damper open closest to the hot coals and eventually opened all 3 as the snake worked its way around. only shutting them down part way a few times when i felt the smoke was getting too rich. Those coconut pieces burn forever so i opened the front door twice during the cook to push them against the lit end of the snake. I'm guessing Hoss has a few pictures of his setup floating around the board and has lots more experience snaking on a WSM.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »
Looks good, don't mind a sample too :)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 09:16:10 PM »
Looks great! Pass me a plate! :D

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 09:31:48 PM »
Tasty ribs here boys.  AFH had his rub on for approx. 36 hours.  He got stuck and could not cook.  As a result I think these things cured some.  The taste was concentrated...sweet, salty with some chipolte heat going on.  The smoke taste was well integrated and not heavy or dirty at all.  AFH mentioned the Coshell product....I am very much liking this for certain applications...and under some lump in a snake is one of em'.  The chance of crazy heat explosions and dirty smoke goes down in my experience so far.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »
AFH. Cook looks great.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »
wow that looks great.
I only use kettles with lid bales.