Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dutch Oven Size?  (Read 5156 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Dutch Oven Size?
« on: October 31, 2014, 09:06:32 PM »
I would like to pick up a Dutch oven. What is a good size for a 22.5" kettle?

Thanks, Pete

masonred

• Smokey Joe
Re: Dutch Oven Size?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 03:17:06 AM »
What are you going to cook? Size it according to recipe, I started with too large a pot and now use a 4 quart shallow one or a size down for most covered cooking or uncovered when cooking for more folks and a 10 inch skillet for most other things. Larger will work but do you need the extra size and some food is better deep than thin.

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 08:49:20 AM »
I use my 8-qt DO in my Kettle all the time, it’s perfect for indirect cooking, it fits perfectly on the side opposite from the coals

I’ve even used this 20qt pot on the kettle, it’s about 18-inch wide; this picture was taking during initial seasoning

I arranged the coals in a circular manner underneath the pot using my WSM fire ring, this way I got even heat all around the pot

I hope this helps

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »
Thanks.  The WSM fire ring looks cool.  I need to find one of these.  Do your DO have feet on them?

At any rate, I am not sure what size I need, am looking for a all purpose size.  Have not used one on the kettle and would like to have one in my back pocket.  Seems like maybe a 5 and an 8 qt. might be in order.

Pete

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 10:09:13 AM »
The WSM fire ring is also great for the "Snake Method", it makes it easy to pile the coals in circular fashion. You can buy a ring directly from Weber as replacement part or from Amazon.com.
My DO's do not have feet on them, but if you buy some with feet, the will go through the grate and won't have any problems.
I find the 8qt is a perfect "all purpose" size.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 10:22:20 AM »

Thanks.  Is that the ring from a 22.5 or an 18 WSM?

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 10:27:16 AM »
I use the 18 WSM ring in my 22.5 kettle and the 22.5 WSM ring in my 26’er Kettle.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »
Thanks.  What is the diameter of the 18 WSM ring?

disregard.  Looks like it is 14" x 4.75"
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Smokey-Mountain-Charcoal-Chamber/dp/B0088ER0US/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=01XJ23C30NHGXD1F96P7

I've got one of these that I will try.  14 - 14.5" x 3.5"
http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/lumpring.html

Similar price to what Amazon sells the WSM rings for.
http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/search.php?search_query=lump+reducing+ring&x=0&y=0

It's nice to have something on hand for once.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:37:24 AM by ClubChapin »

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 10:44:05 AM »
It’s 14inch wide

And if you place a Brinkmann 15” water smoker pan in it, you’ll turn your Kettle to a great smoker :)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 02:30:51 PM »
BBcue-Z that looks brilliant! Two issues solved at once.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 04:36:57 PM »
And if you place a Brinkmann 15” water smoker pan in it, you’ll turn your Kettle to a great smoker :)

Seems like even when not smoking, using that pan would direct airflow to the coals and give you better performance.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 05:41:18 PM »
I can't remember how the numbers correlate to quart sizes, but I have a '12' (12-inches across) Camp Oven and love it.  I put it down on the bottom grate of the Weber with just a few coals underneath and a handful on the lid.  It's a great size for cooking a couple pounds of country ribs for carnitas, or a few pounds worth of beef for barbacoa.  And I'll do some pepper stout beef in it this week before adding other fixings for chili.  Walk into a chili contest carrying an ash-covered camp oven, and you're on your way to victory.  I like to call it my 'cordless crock-pot'. 
One of the charcoal people.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 05:46:57 PM »
12 regular is 6 quarts. 12 inch deep (5") is 8 quarts

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.