Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Burgers, Butt, Tuna - My Weekend Cooks  (Read 1507 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Burgers, Butt, Tuna - My Weekend Cooks
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:22:13 AM »
It was raining last night so I am on the back deck under a cover:

I smoked the burgers first using pecan and a water bath at a grate temp of about 180f or so:

Since getting the Lodge flat skillet I have been thinking about doing a burger cook like this. Did up onions first:

When the burgers felt like they were starting to cook, (about 40 minutes), I tossed them on the CI.  Added abit of fresh coals first.  Here they are at the flip:

One of the girls does not abide smoked meat so she had hers plain.  Since it did not get presmoked it finished last....with my buns...lightly buttered and toasting nicely:

Topped with dijion mustard, a little mayo and those fried onions:

After dinner I went out to get ribs for today as I had not done them in a couple weeks.  I came home with a pork butt as they had it for 1.99 a pound.  Thinking about it after I got home I decided to do something different.  Slathered in about a tablespoon of molasses:

Then dusted with a combo of mango/chipolte powder, Bad Byron's Butt Rub (a vamped up Lowrey's in my opinion), habanero roasted garlic powder and Paul Prudhomme's Magic seasoning anaheim chili powder:

This morning before hitting the mini:

I am using a mix of pecan and apple on top of RO Blue Bag lump which is on top of some Coshell briquettes.  Temp down one side of the butt is 225f and other is 255f, lid is reading 220f:

My wife has some tuna I'll be grilling close to dinner.  Not sure if the butt will finish in time or not.  No matter as leftovers of pulled pork are best anyways.  I plan on wrapping with brown paper if and when this butt looks dryish.  The water pan has a few large chunks of firebrick underneath some foil...no water. 

I will add photos later.  Hope I did not screw up this butt adding molasses.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:26:06 AM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Burgers Butt Tuna - My Weekend Cooks
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:27:23 AM »
Some good lookin' goods there !!!!

You'll be fine w/ molasses.....just maybe wrap a little early......it does have sugar content & can burn if it goes too long or too high in heat.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Burgers, Butt, Tuna - My Weekend Cooks
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 11:37:53 AM »
I have been weighing buying the lodge flat skillet, i may just do it.  Let us know how that butt turns out.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 12:47:33 PM »
While doing this butt I decided to hop on the phone to Weber to register some grills.  The woman I talked to thought it odd that I had a EE 22.5 kettle with 3 wheels on the bottom.  Said she wanted photos in order to register it as she did not think it existed.  I know she was wrong but I got out the cooker for some shots and decided to bring along some company:

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 05:42:48 PM »
The butt wasn't done, still isn't done, so I grabbed some peameal bacon and made some sammiches.  It is getting dark earlier so I got to take a fire shot:

I had some wild mushrooms from my brother and some store bought...brushed them with oil and seasoned.  The tuna is dead centre top with the back bacon around it:

Unfortunately I according to my wife I KILLED the tuna.  Dry Dry Dry!!!  Damn.  I got warned by MacEggs and I still screwed it up.  On the positive side....back bacon then wild mushrooms then carmelized onions then tiger sauce:

These were very tasty boys.  Should'a been a very small sign reading, "Damn Good, Served Here".  Just so long as the wife didn't see it.

The butt is still going, internal temp is 178f.  I will check it when it hits 193f.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »
Butt is now done and rested.  Out of the brown paper:

Meat on this is moist, sweet and porky:

Had a little with some Tiger Sauce and it was very good...nice smoke flavour:

The molasses gave a good bark....very thin but crusty and chewy in spots.  I like it but am not sure I am gonna change my ways.  The sammiches tomorrow and the next day will be the true test.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 09:28:12 PM »
Looks delicious, Mike!
Sorry to hear about the tuna. I'm guessing it was still edible, and not like boot leather ...?? ??? :o >:( ;D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Taz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 06:53:24 PM »

Beautiful family portraits. Oh yeah, food looked great too.

WilliamInColorado

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 06:18:48 AM »
Well done on the food and for the money shots with all those great kettles.