Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tried the snake method  (Read 1813 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Tried the snake method
« on: October 18, 2014, 06:57:28 PM »
Tried the snake method for the first time today. I usually use my wsm for ribs and such, but for just one rack and seeing all the snake method cooks on the the site I had to try it. Great results! Ran a little hot, about 300 degrees but overall I was really happy.
Snake ready to go

After about 3 hours mopped and sauced

Thanks for looking, justin
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:03:58 PM by WNC »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Tried the snake method
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 07:39:58 PM »
Good looking ribs!  How many lit coals did you use? the more you use the hotter temp the fewer you get a lower temp.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

f2benny

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 04:00:08 AM »
I always snake the briquettes.   I stay at 220 to 250 with just a crack in the bottom vents.  I will say that seems like alot of the wood to me.  A few chunks in the first foot seems best to me.   Was it very smoky?

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »
I love the snake.
If it breathes, we can cook it!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 06:18:38 PM »
Thanks guys!

I think I just needed to shut the vents down more. It ran at 250-275 for a couple of hours, then seemed to settle in at 300. I closed them a little more then half when I noticed it creeping up, maybe even more than that though.

Not too much smoke for my taste, but I might like it a little heavier than most. Plus it was apple wood, probably wouldn't have used that much if I was using something like hickory.

Thanks again for the comments and inspiration

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:13:08 AM »
WNC I use Mesquite because like you I do prefer a little heavier smokey flavor when I grill.  Hickory would be good to use as well.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 06:34:42 AM »
For me I usually have both vents fairly closed.  Some times I have the bottom vents just open a hair, and the top vents like 1/4 open.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 07:02:41 AM »
For me I usually have both vents fairly closed.  Some times I have the bottom vents just open a hair, and the top vents like 1/4 open.

Funny how this works.

On my Performer, or on a three wheeler, bottom vents are left open, top vent is closed down a bit if I feel it's getting too hot (300+).

Snake is a row of two using KKB, with another row of two on top of it, and a couple chunks of wood on top, closer to the lit end (right to left for pork).

That's what works for me.
Dude, relax your chicken.

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 09:39:55 PM »
With a little experience you can nail the 230-250 range quite consistently with all vents wide open. If it's running a bit hot close top vent just slightly. If it's running a bit cool take a lit coal or two off the tail end of the snake and place it just ahead of the last lit coal on top of the unlit stuff. In a bit you'll have a little more of your snake burning at once and your temp will climb where you need it. That's one of the things I like about the snake - clean combustion due to free airflow with vents wide open. Very thin blue smoke.
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."