Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First use of the mini chimney.....and my other mini....  (Read 1131 times)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
First use of the mini chimney.....and my other mini....
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:21:18 PM »
I buy bone in chicken breasts then debone them myself because I like boneless SKIN-ON chicken breasts.  Here are 8, deboned, and seasoned.  (Of course, I don't throw away the bones, I freeze them for quick grilling snacks during cooks)

Here is the mini, filled, it holds 40 briquettes.  There's my secret to getting the chimney going extra fast.   

Ready to go.  Yes it lit quickly....but I could tell it was going to be too little for the amount I cook.

The circular setup works for me......

It took these a while to cook.  Just not enough heat for the amount I was cooking.  I had to get the chicken up and close......

This is my Jacob.  I loved these pictures of him helping out at the grill.  Everyday is a struggle....not for me, but for him.  He has been diagnosed with Autism, OCD, Anxiety Disorder, and most recently starting evaluations for Bipolar Disorder.  A couple weeks ago he tried to kill himself by tying a plastic bag over his head, it's not the first time he has tried.  I'm not sharing this to garner pity, but to raise awareness.  Mental health is often overlooked, shamed upon, and joked about.  He had no traumatic events, no abuse, no neglect, he simply suffers from many issues....some of them being mental health related.  Oh....and he's a freaking genius!  Well, not a genius, he's a tier below genius level .....the kid has an IQ of almost 130.  Anyway.....I'm proud of him.  Some days are really, really bad....and some days are really, really good. 

Ready to go in......

Just served with some simple tater salad.....

ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

SixZeroFour

Re: First use of the mini chimney.....and my other mini....
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 07:56:14 PM »
What a beautiful cook and a beautiful son @Cookingmama! Stay strong and keep giving him all the love you can every day!

Our oldest son (5) has also been diagnosed with ASD - in fact we just did the Autism Speaks Vancouver walk just yesterday! You're absolutely right that Mental Health is so shockingly misunderstood. About 2 weeks ago we were in a FAMILY restaurant and a really loud noise freaked out our little guy and made him yell and cry a bit for a grand total of 10 seconds. No lie - 10 seconds. (In my books ANY 5 year old sitting through a whole meal and only making a peep one time is pretty amazing!!) Anyways, these crusty old bags were sitting at the able across from us and almost immediately I could hear the one start talking loud enough so that we could hear and started saying things like "You know, they should really read this book on child behavior by blah blah blah..." I wanted to tear into them but thought better of it because there were many other people enjoying their meals around us and not concerned in the least with the noise from our table.

Here's where is gets real F'd up... I was out for a "boys breakfast" with my two sons and my dad, their papa! These two women had the nerve to FOLLOW my father home 30 minutes away from the restaurant and then come up to him and start telling him about ways I should try to keep my kids in check. Like, Seriously?

All I have to say is THANK GOD I wasn't at his house to witness this! :o >:(

Anyways, the whole point of my story is to emphasize how little people understand about all types of mental health. Our little man is smart as a whip as well but still has frustrating moments mostly because he's just struggling to find the proper words to use.

You can tell just by the smile on Jacobs face that he's well loved, and it appears he's picking up his Mom's gift for cooking!

Take care of yourself!

Matt
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »
Good looking cook.  Take care of your little one...you too Matt.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:09:33 PM »
Keep up the good work Cookingmama!
That is a handsome youngster you have there, and it is awesome that he likes to help with the grill. :)
As far as the mini chimney goes, I have two, and use one mini per basket.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 04:49:09 AM »
I enjoy hearing people actually talk about mental health. In the U.S. there is a stigma around mental health that scares people into not talking about it. My brother has had mental health issues. My wife and mom are both speech language pathologists so they are around children on the spectrum and special needs all the time. It seems some people don't understand or care to be educated about it. The more people become aware the better. Back in college I tried to bring awareness to mental health by bringing a speaker, etc. All kids need love. Take care of your kids @Cookingmama and @SixZeroFour Keep doing what you are doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow