Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Snake Method for Charcoal  (Read 5440 times)

Dock_rat

• Smokey Joe
Snake Method for Charcoal
« on: August 07, 2014, 04:32:21 AM »
Has anyone used this before? It looks interesting. If so, how long does it last if you snake 3/4 around the grate with 2 briquettes snakes together like I've seen online.....like Dominos that have been knocked over?

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Snake Method for Charcoal
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 05:00:27 AM »
This is a grate question for the grand master kettle smoker 1buckie,  I am sure he will chime in on this and give you all the info you need plus more and you will be set to go. A lot people use the snake method and it works great for them. I go back and forth between it and a somewhat modified minion method depends on my mood that day I guess.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

rivercityjeff

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 05:12:29 AM »
The snake is widely respected and used in these parts.

Generally, I use a 2+2+1 snake to maintain 240-250* with the bottom vent opened half-way on a 22" Performer.  The snake in the photo lasted about 11 hours until I stopped it with about 10-15% remaining. The snake was started via chimney with 20 charcoal briquets. 

I would be interested in other's snake results.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 05:20:19 AM by rivercityjeff »
Yes, yes I am a pork-eating Infidel
Green Performer Platinum  Green Genesis 330
Tan Q2200

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 05:41:26 AM »
 Hey Dock.......it will depend on a few things as to how long it actually lasts.....

Two briq. spacing is not too much, so the heat would most likely be pretty low.....people use two with one on top & even two, two on that & one on top of those to build up an area of fuel.....

Then it becomes a matter of how much air is applied to the fuel pack & if you're using wood chunks (or chips) ...how much of those are added in.....

A standard setup for me might be, under medium outside air temperature (yes, if it's 105f where you live that day, it will have some effect!!!)......two briquettes with one on top, 5 or 6 wood chunks spaced around the ring, ring maybe 7/8's of the way around, chips of lump charcoal sprinkled over the pile all along,10 briq's to lite the chain, bottom vents 1/2 or a little less open, top vent all open, temp will be at approx. 240~260f AT GRATE LEVEL.....for about 9 to 10 hours, maybe more if the BBQ gods say so.......

I always just stack most of the way around.....if  that much isn't needed, then just break the chain & save the unburnt coals.....

It will vary always a little, depending on little things like if your charcoal has taken on a little moisture, what brand as some burn quicker than others, what wood you might use as that's an additional fuel & if it flares up & burns hot, it will move the chain a little faster.....some folks will pinch the vents pretty far down & even pinch down the top vent to run less total air thru.....
I like to let the air / smoke exhaust freely so there's no stalled, stale smoke dwelling in the cooker....but as you get the hang of it, that can be a temp control tool to use a little......

Here's a few of my links for long & low cooks that explain some setups that get pretty even temps....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/other-recipes/something-different/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/ok-finally-brisket/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/bob's-beef-o-rama/msg20382/#msg20382

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/look-ma-no-therms/msg114445/#msg114445

Others put up good pics & descriptions of setup also.....most likely they'll be in "grilling & BBQ" or the "Food Pr0on" sections & be about the longer cooks like brisket & pork butt..... also works pretty good for ribs, with a few adjustments.....

*** There's a nice setup from rivercityjeff right there.....with some pertinent info, too!!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 05:43:11 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 07:01:03 AM »
^^^^^^^^^Told ya this guy knew it plus more^^^^^^^

You the man buckie.... when I grow up I wanna be just like you ;)
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 07:11:05 AM »

What?

Old, crunchy & bald ?

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 07:30:40 AM »

What?

Old, crunchy & bald ?

Well I am partially there..... already bald so I got that going for me :o

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 07:37:54 AM »
Bucky, your the encyclopedia of Kettle Knowledge! Keep bringing it on.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »
Bucky, your the encyclopedia of Kettle Knowledge! Keep bringing it on.

i screw up pretty regular like on the higher heat stuff......not enough to trash it mind you, but off the mark a bit............

Lemme see if I a can goof up a pizza here soon......

Dock_rat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 07:38:33 AM »
Thanks for all the help! This place is a wonderful resource of knowledge, and I appreciate the advice.

Brining a Turkey Breast as I type this. Want to try the snake, but going to use the Mini WSM I recently built, only for the 2nd time. So many choices to make in life......... 8)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »

Yes, which kettle to use.....questions, questions, questions...... 8)

I did a small turkey breast by running skewers thru it & hanging out over indirect coals on either side.....with the mini, I guess it's sort of indirect if you have a pie plate, terra cotta saucer or other diffuser in there......

It'll be great brined !!!!

Dock_rat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 07:34:11 PM »
Some might say this was overkill, or even redundant, but I brined it for about 5 hours and injected with one part Apple juice, one part water, a pinch of Poultry seasoning, and my all purpose rub. Smoked it with Pecan and Apple, about 250 degrees until it 165. I don't want to toot my own horn, but without a doubt this was the most juicy, moist white meat turkey I've ever had! I'm a dark meat guy at Thanksgiving, or given the choice I'll cook thighs over breast, but WOW. Can't describe how good it was. No pics, it was late and I was hungry..lol..Thanks again for tips!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 07:38:28 PM »

Like turkey flavored butter, right?

Good Show !!!!!