Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ST. louis rib  (Read 2316 times)

irv39

• WKC Brave
ST. louis rib
« on: July 19, 2014, 01:58:40 PM »
Cooked a st. Louis rib today and it turned out great, still learning vents wanted to cook at 250 but the temp raised to about 280 for awhile then I got it to 250 and cooked for 4 hr.  and 15 min. had apple and hickory for smoke. did not foil.
Just on

Finished

Lerxst

• WKC Brave
Re: ST. louis rib
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 02:18:36 PM »
Looks perfect. :)
"Woke up this morning thinking - what can I barbecue next!  This is fun!"

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 02:23:28 PM »
The ribs look great, when i do ribs i usually do them at 275 or so depends where my smoker settles. Try not to smother the fire by choking it back because you either snuff it out or worse you get nasty smoke from a choked fire (unclean, not enough oxygen)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 06:32:07 PM »
The ribs look great, when i do ribs i usually do them at 275 or so depends where my smoker settles. Try not to smother the fire by choking it back because you either snuff it out or worse you get nasty smoke from a choked fire (unclean, not enough oxygen)

I was going to say the exact same thing.  275 is a great all around temp for ribs/pork shoulder/brisket...I wouldn't be bothered at all with 280.  If that's where it settles in, let it ride.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

TheDirtyGrill

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:48:36 PM »

I was going to say the exact same thing.  275 is a great all around temp for ribs/pork shoulder/brisket...I wouldn't be bothered at all with 280.  If that's where it settles in, let it ride.

I've always been told lower, 225 up to 250. You get better results hotter?
On the hunt for a WSM...PM me if you have one for sale or can help!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:47:18 AM »

Yeah, I think a little hotter seems to work better......mostly for the reasons Ron said......trying to run down at low heat, I see people time & again say that it took forever, or I kept getting chugging white smoke, or the coals were 'almost out', or a number of things like that.....if it'll run there, fine, cook there, but if the therm is just a little off, you might be cooking @ 200 & beside taking a long time, ribs in particular, will end up chewy  from the rendering just not going smoothly enough.........

beef ribs @ 265....

Pork ribs, next door @ a little hotter............

they come out fine like that, pretty well tenderized & rendered out, but still juicy enough..............................

Irv's look great @ 250 with a bit of 280.......nice cookup !!!!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:06:31 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"