Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stepping outside my comfort zone.  (Read 2538 times)

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Stepping outside my comfort zone.
« on: July 14, 2014, 07:22:01 PM »
So I have been doing pizzas with store bought dough from the bakery section and using canned suace. Started using a a cheapo pizza stone which I cracked. So after that I went and bought an Emile Henry pizza stone. Used it a handful of times with the store bought stuff with a little success.  So that brings me to today. I am not a baker by any means and have never done well at it so this was definitely an adventure out of my comfort zone. After many weeks of reading and research.  I came up with a gamr plan. I had my recipe for the dough and sreached everywhere for type "00" tipo flour. While searching for that I was also sreaching for some firebricks to elevate my stone. Well talking to a co worker that I car pool with about where to find the bricks at and he says he has some so I go digging and rummaging through all the stuff he keeps in various sheds on his 1 1/2 acres  and we find 3 bricks and two half circle plates. He told me he was going to use them to make a door opening on a forge. I ask him how much he says nothing take them, SCORE. So now finding that pesky hard to find flour. End up with king arthur bread flour after some more research. So that gets me to the task at hand. Making dough for the first time the rest is in the pictures. Enjoy! I know I did.

More to come!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Stepping outside my comfort zone.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:32:01 PM »
Here we go and the cook up. I have to say the homemade dough is alot easier to stretch out than the store bought stuff.

I have to say I enjoyed this alot and will be doimg it again. It made pizza great and it was fairly easy. Also I would like to say thanks to all the members who have posted their pizza cooks as I read through them over and over to come up with an idea on how to do mine. Thanks for looking.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »
Looks great, Mike!  Nice work.

Yeah, I started with homemade dough, and then later helped a friend prep pizza for his awesome pizza oven.  His Trader Joe's premade crusts took all kinds of pounding, pulling, and force to get them to comply.  And the finished product was pretty toothy.  Doing it yourself seems much better to me! 
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »

Nice Cookup !!!

Great  job on whittling the info down to then personalize it & have just simply work for you.....

I get bogged down trying to follow some of the conversations on stuff like this & it gets put mentally on the back burner......looks like you made it over any kind of hurdle like that with flying colors !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:05:56 PM »
Good looking pies!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 03:53:12 AM »
Nice looking pies. 2 chimneys plus some lump, I bet that was a lot of heat!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 06:03:38 AM »

Believe it or not it wasn't. The actual amount was about 2 chimneys worth as one chimney was half full. Also I done this on my 26er the lid therm was running just a bit over 400°F so next time it will be 2 full chimneys and some lump and extra wood also. I would like it to run at about 500°F. 

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 08:06:01 AM »
Nice job! That looks great!!

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 08:36:58 AM »

Believe it or not it wasn't. The actual amount was about 2 chimneys worth as one chimney was half full. Also I done this on my 26er the lid therm was running just a bit over 400°F so next time it will be 2 full chimneys and some lump and extra wood also. I would like it to run at about 500°F. 

Ohhh, I see you were just lighting the charcoal on the performer. I didn't notice you did ti on the 26.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
I like Sausage and mushroom please?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 05:35:29 PM »
That looks awesome.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 06:31:53 PM »
Awesome pizza, Mike!