Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DFW WKC Meetup UPDATE: Postponed!  (Read 12228 times)

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
DFW WKC Meetup UPDATE: Postponed!
« on: July 11, 2014, 06:46:15 AM »
MiniGrillin and I have been talking about getting a meet up going for us Texas guys in the DFW area.  We would love to see some of the guys from Houston, Austin, and San Antonio try to make it as well.

Location Ideas:  At a centrally located DFW Lake sometime in September.  I'd prefer mid-morning, because it will still be hot in September.  Joe Pool Lake and Lewisville Lake are two good bets.  Ray Roberts Lake is a little further North but has some good parks that we could go to as well.  Maybe something on September 6th or 13th?

Anybody that is interested in going, post in this thread and throw out your ideas.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:43:30 PM by MaxBobcat »

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
Re: DFW WKC Meetup
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 07:56:41 AM »
Gents, I am just getting settled in the area after a move from Chicago, but I will certainly block off the decided date to make it!  I don't know where anything is yet so I am afraid I can't help with suggestions.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:41:10 AM »
Lake Lewisville has a really nice park area near sneaky Petes. On the west side of the lake. Disc golf course too

Lake whitney towards Waco is kinda nice and that way we could maybe get some Austin guys over.

Or even Waco. Near the zoo is a REALLY nice park. Name escapes me at the moment. Lol..! Also has a disc golf park.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:44:20 AM by MINIgrillin »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »
Gents, I am just getting settled in the area after a move from Chicago, but I will certainly block off the decided date to make it!  I don't know where anything is yet so I am afraid I can't help with suggestions.

Nice!  Glad to have you down here, TBS.

Lake Lewisville has a really nice park area near sneaky Petes. On the west side of the lake. Disc golf course too

Lake whitney towards Waco is kinda nice and that way we could maybe get some Austin guys over.

Or even Waco. Near the zoo is a REALLY nice park. Name escapes me at the moment. Lol..! Also has a disc golf park.

Lewisville sounds good to me.  It's pretty central for those of us in DFW and right off of I-35E for anybody coming from the south.

There's two nice Corps park on the Western side of the lake called West Lake park and Oakland Park.  There is a lot of picnic pavilions (we got to have some shade) and some rest rooms there too.  Check it out on google maps and tell me what you think.

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lewisville/Recreation/Parks/Corpsparks.asp#westlakepark

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 06:24:06 PM »
That looks nice.. That would work

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 07:55:15 PM »
This location looks good.

Mini, you asked in the other thread... I am north of dallas.

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 06:54:23 AM »
Will be there. Wherever.

Lewisville, Grapevine, have nice parks. Never been to Joe Pool.

Just have to make sure the park doesnt have a ban on open or pit fires. Which some consider a charcoal grill.

Unless you want to just sit around and stare at each other.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 04:10:47 PM »
I can go check these locations out for amenities and such. Bathrooms and kiddos play areas if needed.  Make sure about the open fire pit idea...good thought on that BTW. I'm gonna go with it probably won't be an issue because there is a grill in those pics Max posted.

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 10:29:55 AM »
What dates are you fellas thinking?

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 12:47:06 PM »
I'd say 20th or 27. My brother and sister in laws bday is in September. I'm gonna have to make sure I don't have any conflicts.

etruax

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 08:13:47 AM »
Count me in. 

Only live a few miles from Lake Lewisville but am open to travel as needed.

Eric

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 04:18:33 PM »
Ok, sounds like we'll have a decent group out there.

Just trying to get something out there so people can start making plans....

How does this sound to everybody?

Time: 10:30 AM - Whenever
Date: September 20th

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 12:50:11 PM »
How does this work? Is this a bring your favorite dish kinda thing? How do we make sure we don't have everyone bringing ribs?

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 02:06:48 PM »
i say make it a free for all. if everyone brings ribs i guarantee that no 2 will taste the same.

just dont bring anything that was lying on the asphalt on the way to the meet.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 03:41:06 PM »
Can't imagine you'll have any overlapping food Mini, just throw out (on the thread that is) what you like to make and others will work around that. At the mid-Atlantic meet we ended up with everything from salmon to buffalo. Long smokes are generally incompatible with meet ups, unless you make ahead, but then the fun of live grilling is compromised. Have a blast!