Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Canada Day Brisket Flat On The WSM  (Read 1216 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Canada Day Brisket Flat On The WSM
« on: July 01, 2014, 07:56:03 AM »
Mostly everybody up here has the day off...me included.  So I went out last night to a Halal butcher who takes his meat seriously.  Got some Angus brisket - a little over 7 pounds worth.  Got up at 6.30 removed the silver skin from the top side, removed none of the fat cap and lightly salted then some Dizzy Pig Beef rub then some Schwartzs beef seasoning.  The meat was injeated with some high-end beef stock, I am using RO Blue lump with White Oak chunks on top....a few small pieces of Black Cherry too. Let the meat sit first in the fridge then at room temp while I got the smoker set up and burning clean...about 2 hours.

My meat just before going on:

My temps are running around 275-285f side to side....I have the dual probe Maverick.  Smoke is rolling clean and old Hoss even had the peace of mind to leave the cooker alone and spend some Canada Day Time with the wife.  I could have and economically speaking "should have", used one of the Kettles but I wanted to not have to tend the fire and wood all day.  I do not use the minion method with my kettles but rather add live charcoal and wood as needed.  So when I do long cooks the WSM is my first choice since I got it and figured it out.

EDIT:  About 5 hours or so in, internal temp 163f, bacon basteing scewers are crispy (they went in at about the 2 hour mark), and time to foil:

I added about a cup of beef broth, double wrapped pretty tightly with heavy duty AF then put in a metal lasanga pan.  Cruising at 280f or so.  I'll check the temp in a couple/three hours.

Edit 2:  The brisket went about 12 hours, probing like butter in the thickest part of the flat at 209f.  I rested it in the cooker after scattering the coals and adding ice to the water pan.  The internal of the cooker hit 180f quickly and fell to 105f about an hour and abit later when the meat was at 170f internal.  It was a little fall apart at the ends:

Inside slices were more holding together.  Taste on this baby was beauty.  The wife put a old chair at the curb.  A couple shows up on motorcycles looking at it as I am tending the cooker on the front porch (it was raining on and off today).  The fella asks about what I am cooking while looking at the chair.  We put it aside for him and he comes back as I am pulling the meat to go inside and slice.  I offer and he comes up for a taste....says it's better that he makes...and he has a Big Green Egg....says the Egg is way overrated.  Ha!  Should a' got a Weber.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:08:16 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
Re: Canada Day Brisket Flat On The WSM
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:43:33 AM »
Looking good. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 01:44:02 PM »
Happy Canada Day Mr Hoss! Doesn't get much better than a lazy day baby sitting the WSM :) That brisket's looking delicious - Love the bacon skewer idea too!

I'm firing up the performers momentarily  8)

PS: I received my replacement confirmation today - you?
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »

You sir, have tiny meat trees growing out of yiour meat !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 03:41:46 PM »
It's the day after the brisket flat cook and time for leftovers....almost as good as the fresh thing itself.

Took some broth and heated it up with a lid on.  Thinly sliced some brisket and added it to the broth and put the lid on.  Kept it on the heat for about 30 seconds then pulled it off the burner for about a minute or so then added to toasted buttered white bread....salt and pepper too.  Broth on the side for dipping:

I look forward to these sammiches when I make brisket:

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"