Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Meat Loaf, Potatoes & Pabst  (Read 1366 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Meat Loaf, Potatoes & Pabst
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:48:50 PM »
This was one of those nights where my wife and I kind of looked at each other and said "what's for dinner?" The meatloaf was all right, but I have work to do there. Don't get me wrong, I cooked it on the kettle so it was still better than most restaurants. The potatoes were the star. My five year old planted the garden, and we harvested this bushel today (not sure if that's even the right term). They were amazing. A little olive oil, kosher salt and rosemary.

Pabst? What can you say about Pabst except for it should be in every fine dining establishment in the nation  :)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: Meat Loaf, Potatoes & Pabst
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:30:51 PM »
Looks the goods, I still haven't cooked a meatloaf on the kettle
Pabst, my brother brought a few over the other night and there pretty good not as good as a Coopers pale ale, but I'm not going to get into the whole ' who makes the best beer ' argument
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

crazej36

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 02:15:40 AM »
Pbr is my go to rice beer . Nice looking diner.
91 kettle black , 22.5 OTG black, 18.5 OTS black, 76 Red Head MBH, 18.5in Smokey Mountain .

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 03:47:57 AM »
three of my favorite things.......grilled meat, potatoes, and cheap beer  ;D
-Keith

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 05:42:11 AM »
That right there looks like a great dinner!  I haven't made a smoked meatloaf in a while, I think i might have to do that soon!

One thing that I like to do for meatloaf on the kettle is to put it on a tray without the ketchup on it, so that you get 3 sides that get nice and crispy.  Then in the last 15mins of it cooking, put the ketchup/bbq sauce brushed over the top of it so you get that nice glaze. 
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 07:31:05 AM »
I cook mine right on the grate with a drip pan sitting under it on the charcoal grate.  It gets a nice crust the whole way around, and then I add the topping during the last 10-15min like it is noted above

I had never heard of cooking meatloaf in a pan until I started hanging out on grilling/cooking websites and started seeing recipies from different places around the US.  Growing up, we always cooked a meatloaf in the oven on a a broiler pan.  That way all of the fat/grease from the burger drains away from the meat.  When cooking on the grill, the crust seals in the moisture really well, but the fat/grease cooks off into a drip pan.  Its by far, my favorite way to cook it.
-Keith

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 07:35:03 AM »
I like to let the fat drip off also.  I always have a grate under the meatloaf and then into the pan so it catches the fat.  the bottom doesn't get a crust on it since it is close to the fat that runs off.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 09:45:19 AM »
Cooking it in the pan I had to take it off the grill a couple of times and drain the grease. My wife got some fancy pan that has a grate built-in on the bottom for the fat to drain into, but she won't let me get it near the Weber.

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »
If you have a cooking cooling rack you can place that over a deep tray or cookie sheet so you don't have to drain the fat.  You can also place foil on the cooking grate, cut slits and have a drip pan underneath the meatloaf.  There is more than 1 way to skin a cat, it just takes some ingenuity!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »
Looks darn good!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 08:25:07 PM »
Great looking old school style meal!