Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Buttermilk pie!  (Read 1917 times)

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
Buttermilk pie!
« on: April 19, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »
What the *&%^ is Buttermilk pie?! That's what I would have said before yesterday....never heard of it before.....today I would say "Yes please, I will have another slice!".

Sweet and delicate!
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Buttermilk pie!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
Still haven't heard of it. So wtf is it?  :)

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 05:08:37 PM »
It's pretty damn good is what it is! ;D It is a sweet custard pie. I guess it is an old staple in the south....I was just looking for a good pie recipe and came across it.....glad I did!

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 05:55:56 PM »
Dang that looks amazing! A local BBQ guy does buttermilk pie in his smoker and it's great. I must try thus at home.  ;D
WTB: Genesis Jr.

Andy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »
That looks and sounds delicious! I've been curious about trying a pie in this general style on a kettle for some time now.
How long did you cook it for, and any idea at what temperature your grill was at? (or was it simply X number of coals to
start with, and some/no more coals added during the cooking?).

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »
About 350 degrees. I bake everything at that temperature. I have it down pretty good how much charcoal it takes to hit that temp every time. 3/4 chimney and I am set. Indirect, it took about 50 minutes to an hour. I don't ever go by the time I go by the middle being done ( toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean) or for something like a custard pie or cheesecake by the temperature in the pie.....about 160 degrees .

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 05:45:38 AM »
That looks like a great spin on a cheesecake.  Would you mind sharing your recipe and process of making this bad boy?
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 06:33:39 AM »
Sure thing. First the recipe....

1 1/2 cups butter

3 Tablespoons flour

3 eggs

1 pinch salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup buttermilk

1 deepdish pie shell. I used a store bought one but you can make your own, just make sure it is a deep dish so it will hold all in filling.

Beat the butter and sugar together until light.
Add The eggs and beat, then add vanilla and beat.
Add dry ingredients then add buttermilk then beat till smooth.
Pour into deep dish pie shell and bake at 350 for about 50- 60 minutes ...check temperature of pie filling...once it hits 160-170 it is done. It should be golden brown but may not look set. I put it in the fridge overnight but you can serve it warm, just let it cool until slightly warm. This pie is sweet, kind of delicate tasting.

I set up the grill for indirect....I use 3/4 chimney of charcoal( Weber sized chimney) and let the briqs get completely ashed over before they go in the kettle .....going for the heat not the smoke!
I leave the top vent wide open and control the temp with the bottom vents only.....not trying to create smoke by suffocating the fire.
About halfway through the cook I turn the pie to get some even cooking/baking.
Check the temperature of the custard with an instant read thermometer and remove pie when the temp gets to 160-170 range.  You can use the same setup and technique to bake breads or cakes. Most baking only requires bake times of up to an hour and in most cases less than that. The temperature range of 350-375 is good for most things and since you should be going by when it's done and not by the time it will come out great even if it takes a little longer than a recipe says . I don't ever add more fuel during a bake...since you probably only need about an hour of constant temperature for most baked goods and you don't want to create smoke or ash....just watch the temp of the grill and keep an eye on the food but really just leave the grill alone and let it do it's thing and you should be golden. :) If you want to bake bread or cake...use a toothpick or a butterknife to check if it's done. Just insert it in the middle of the cake/bread and the toothpick/knife should come out clean. If there is still any batter/dough sticking to it then let it go for longer.....you want it moist inside but DONE.....nothing sucks more than having the best baked "whatever" that you have ever smelled and tasted be done on the edges and uncooked in the middle! YUCK! Be patient but keep an eye on the progress or your shit WILL burn. Have fun.

Hint: To keep an eye on your baked goods, use a flashlight and peek through the top vent( It should be wide open). You can see how its going without disturbing the heat. You can get a good look when you open the grill at the halfway point to spin your pan.

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 06:44:23 AM »
Thank you so much for the recipe and the process!
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Andy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 07:05:59 AM »
 I'll echo that, thank you for the recipe and detailed instructions, I'm going to try it this summer!  :)

Andy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 07:12:40 AM »
your shit WILL burn.

That also can happen when you eat some really spicy food the night before!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 08:27:15 PM »
That sir is a must try!