Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Corn on a corn/tater ring?  (Read 2105 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Corn on a corn/tater ring?
« on: April 12, 2014, 03:32:43 PM »
I'm preparing to use my corn n' tater ring tomorrow. Does anyone know what's the best way to prepare/cook ears of corn using a Weber corn n' tater ring? How long does it take to cook corn this way?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Corn on a corn/tater ring?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »

I've done soak / brine type ears, where you peel back the sheaf without tearing it off, get rid of the floss & soak in salty, spicy water for an hour or so......just replace the shuck & take a thin piece & tie it around the top end to hold the sheaf together................Old Bay is a good addition, or any other  spices you like..........

Also done wrapped, with flavored butter, but sitting upright they do tend to lose a bit as it travels downward as the butter heats up......not terrible, but not quite as good as doing them flat..........

I've cooked corn at a bit higher heat (275~300)  using coals piled in the center & also a bit lower heat than that, using a ring around the outside edge of the charcoal grate.........I like the second way best.......seems to go a bit more evenly & hits the whole length of the ear that way............

Use a standard cooking grate; the corn rack will fit right over it with the handles lined up & that way if one falls or gets bobbled it just lands on the grate & ya don't have to go fishing.............. 

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: Corn on a corn/tater ring?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:10:22 AM »
Hey, ramsfan, congrats on scoring a piece of Weber history that just happens to be the best tool for cooking corn that I've ever seen!  (Thanks to Duke for hooking me up with one!)

I've only had a couple of reps with making corn, but I found it to be super easy and very forgiving.  I've never tried soaks or brines with my corn-- I prefer to cook them in their own juices, just pulling the silks out the end of the husks as best I can without pulling apart the husks.  Then I get maybe 2/3 of a chimney of lump going (I have always cooked it in the middle of summer, so adjust accordingly).  Put corn in the ring, alternating corn/tater slots (filling it all the way doesn't allow the lid to close).  Then dump the coals in a pile right in the middle of the grill, lid up, and wait patiently for about 40 minutes.  No need to turn the corn, as it's right up under the lid, roasting like a charm. 

The only real way I know to test for doneness is to pull off an ear and sneak a bite. 
One of the charcoal people.