Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 18" to a Jumbo Joe Mod?  (Read 11984 times)

gunner

• WKC Brave
18" to a Jumbo Joe Mod?
« on: January 16, 2014, 05:56:14 PM »
Hey Folks,

I am trying to find some links to an 18" jumbo joe mod. I know I have seen some members mods before but can't seem to find any threads on it? Can anyone help? One of my projects coming up is to turn an 18" into a jumbo joe. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

~Tom

Duke

• The Duke
Re: 18" to a Jumbo Joe Mod?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:22:28 PM »
Hi Gunner, all you will need to do is install the lid lock bar and get a locking lid handle, I recommend one of Brian's sweet wood ones. If you are thinking that you want the legs I am against it because they are heavy and you already have the sockets, but that's up to you. If you are using an OT an ash catcher isn't a bad idea.

Craig

• WKC Mod
18" to a Jumbo Joe Mod?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:23:09 PM »
Here's some pictures of the one I have. It was modded from a '99 Coca Cola red 18.5 OTS by Stu (G). He can speak to the mod itself better than I can. I love this thing! Other than that it's red it has the one touch system as opposed to the side vents like an SJP so the airflow is much better. Oh and the leg sockets were removed from this one for the mod.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 03:33:40 AM »
Cool project, Gunner.  Would love to see pics when you're done.

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 05:29:14 AM »
Man those are sweet looking! If you go with the stubby legs are those just normal kettle legs cut down to size then capped?

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 07:09:58 AM »
Any chance to see that budweiser 18's bottom?  How does it look where the leg sockets used to be?   :o

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 07:11:57 AM »
Sounds like a great project, Tom!

You prolly saw this thread, but I put it together so folks could find parts numbers for JJs (and mods, now that you mention it).  Fair warning:  I'm guessing the prices are much higher now. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/parts-numbers-for-the-jumbo-joe/msg51154/?topicseen#msg51154

Good luck, and keep us posted!
One of the charcoal people.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 08:26:07 AM »
...oh, and yeah, you have GOT to get the wood/aluminum handle from Brian O'Neal.  It is a work of art all by itself.
One of the charcoal people.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »
Here's some pictures of the one I have. It was modded from a '99 Coca Cola red 18.5 OTS by Stu (G). He can speak to the mod itself better than I can. I love this thing! Other than that it's red it has the one touch system as opposed to the side vents like an SJP so the airflow is much better. Oh and the leg sockets were removed from this one for the mod

That was one of my first "projects" and unfortunately wasnt photodocumented.  At the time, I REALLY wanted a red SJP so my intent was to mimic it as closely as possible but update it with the desirable features of a OTS.  The bowls and lids are the same so I purchased SJP parts and measured the locations of the legs and lid lock from a black SJP I had at the time.  The leg sockets were removed with a grinder to free up some space underneath the ash sweeper but the three weld tabs from each socket remained and were painted (with a poorly matched "red" high heat paint I might add).  Overall, it turned out pretty nice, was rock solid, and worked very well as Craig mentioned.  The only real trick is to make sure you position the legs in an area that allows the ash sweeper to move and fully open/close. 

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 05:21:21 PM »
Do you think a leg kit and heat shield from a 18.5" WSM would work?
A Wonderful Family!!!

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 05:24:53 PM »
If my memory is correct, I measured that for another build but the shield was too high preventing the installation of the sweeper arm.  The legs would work and that set-up could be just the answer for an older daisy wheeler.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:56:45 PM by G »

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 05:51:47 PM »

If my memory is correct, I measured that another build but the shield was too high preventing the installation of the sweeper arm.  The legs would work and that set-up could be just the answer for an older daisy wheeler.you could

Just what I wanted to hear. I happen to have a red daisy wheel, and think I may try this mod.
A Wonderful Family!!!

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 06:03:41 PM »
BEWARE....my memory isnt what it used to be... :)  You may want to verify that the heat shield extends beyond the location of the vent dampers if you plan to use the shield as an ash pan. 

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 06:29:42 PM »
If you go with the stubby legs are those just normal kettle legs cut down to size then capped?

Correct. I had a spare leg kit and reset my 18 Easterner to "Traveler" mode for last summer. I wanted to make it just tall enough so the ash catcher would still fit and it does but I didn't have it on in the photo.  :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:32:15 PM by Craig »

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 06:44:31 PM »
I made mine because a regular SJP wouldn't fit in the back of my truck and close with my bed cover, so this was my solution for it.

Here it is with the legs on.

I like that I can store everything I need inside including the legs.

The lid lock also holds the lid on. I chose not to add the extra support bar from an SJP since I don't have the SJP legs.

I have since put on one of Brians walnut handles. I wasn't really happy about drilling and cutting into this one, but it is pretty chipped and bent up. In fact the front leg socket is still crooked. I just had to remove the handles for that true SJP look though. ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:49:04 PM by Duke »