News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

18.5 Easterner is: JUMBO JOE '66

Started by Craig, September 19, 2012, 09:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig

Not that this is an original idea, but last week I also removed the leg kit and wheels from my late Grandfather's 1960s 18.5" redhead and am in the process of cleaning and restoring it.. hopefully I can get it done this weekend since I was gone for a few days, but after I took the legs and wheels off, I had a wild hair, took a spare leg kit I have, cut it down, and came up with this in the mean time. I may have now found a second use for this one. It's my "how a Jumbo Joe may have looked in the 60s" wild haired idea. Don't worry, the original legs will be back, and with shiney new metal hubcaps!

Craig

zavod44

Looks a little weird to me, Maybe you need to make one of those travelers.  I think they had a similar one to what you did.  Longer legs, no wheels and if I recall no ash catcher.  Maybe there was no vents on the bottom.

I want to see your 18 all fixed up, it looks to be in great shape

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

zavod44

Did you find those caps at Home Depot?

Brian

Craig

I actually got these and my white ones at Ace, but 'Depot has them too. I thought of making a red 'Traveler' but I don't have 3 front legs and it would have to have an ash pan at least. It does look a little strange, but it would make a nice camping and tailgaiting variant for it.

Craig

zavod44

1" aluminum shower rod...available wherever you got those caps.  Now you have three front legs!

Brian

pbe gummi bear

It does look funny but that is a mighty fine red kettle! Is it stable? That's probably the shortest cut legs I have seen online for an 18.5"
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

the center of gravity looks dangerous.

it's cute though.

Craig

As funny looking as it is, it is pretty solid and stable in this configuration. Doesn't tip over, stands straight. I can't wait to finish restoring the legs and wheels. After seeing Brian's Texan with those shiney new hubcaps....It's gonna be going back to "Easterner" kettle mode. But I thought that a redhead "Mini Me" would be an interesting "Jumbo Joe Prequel". Not sure what my Grandfather would think if he were here of seeing his bbq grill kit-bashed.

Craig

DoppelBock

I kinda like it, perfect for grilling at the beach and never having to leave your beach chair ;D

Duke

I like it, but would have went a little longer on the legs. I also would have mitred them on the bottom. It more stable than leg caps. And we don't need no stinki'n ash pans! 8)

Duke

Craig

Quote from: Duke on September 20, 2012, 09:15:21 PM
I almost forgot. Awesome avatar! 8)

Thanks, Duke! Taken from our favorite kettle bible....er....... I mean Cookbook.

Craig  ;)