Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vintage Weber charcoal caddy  (Read 6208 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Vintage Weber charcoal caddy
« on: November 19, 2013, 03:26:44 AM »
So this weekend was disappointing that I had to work over the weekend which is very rare for me.  I was working up in Crystal Lake which is in the Chicago northern suburbs.  On Sunday during all the bad storms, I had some down time so of course I'm watching the local Craigslist postings.  An ad popped up in Grayslake, about 25 minutes from where I was working.  It was a brownie 22 that looked to be in decent shape and a old charcoal caddy.  I recognized the photo as being a very old Weber model caddy.  I responded to the ad and left my number.  About an hour later I got a call back and made arrangements to drive there after work.  Here is what I picked up.  As far as the brownie kettle, its tentatively spoken for for one of our members.

Here are some pics from the 1963 Weber brochure

Its taller than I thought it might be, its 29 " to the top of the top handle.  It has some surface rust, scale, and dirt...but it will make for an easy restore and paint job offseason or in spring!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 03:28:16 AM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vintage Weber charcoal caddy
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 03:31:35 AM »
Nice score! I really like those old caddies. Are you going to paint it like in the picture, gold and black? That would look pretty slick.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 03:35:17 AM »
Nice score! I really like those old caddies. Are you going to paint it like in the picture, gold and black? That would look pretty slick.
yup...exactly like that!

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 03:50:34 AM »
You know what's really cool about that catalog? I remember my parents calling our "wok" the coolie pan when I was growing up. Its interesting how things change that way...When did it become a "wok"?
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 04:02:05 AM »
From the '72 catalog. It's going to be sweet!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 04:53:12 AM »
Nice, it's interesting they made these from at least '63-'72. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's finished. I wonder if that one was ever copper or just black. Is there any evidence of copper paint left? The one in the '63 catalog looks silver.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:56:20 AM by Duke »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 05:01:06 AM »
That is an awesome find Jeff! Now we need to find a vintage fire blower sitting inside a kettle on CL! :) You know I'm going to ask, are there more photos from the '63 catalog? As for the Coolie pan name change to wok, I believe it was already called a wok by the time of the 1972 catalog. Diamond in the rough of a find, Jeff!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 05:13:03 AM »
Great find! Looking forward to the restore pic's.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 05:15:27 AM »

I wonder if that one was ever copper or just black. Is there any evidence of copper paint left? The one in the '63 catalog looks silver.

Looking at the 1963 description, it says copper and black. The one that's posing with George looks to be a copper top.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 05:58:05 AM »
This one has no evidence of any copper or gold color
 It's just like a faded grey all blue tint. I'm going to do it in the gold black combo unless I find some other historical evidence that would change my mind. It will be a fun restore though. I have plans in the spring to make a vintage weber cover page shot with some cool old accessories I've been accumulating...I even have one of those funky patio umbrellas!

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 05:59:03 AM »
Are you going to use it ?

What is blower in the cat ?

Btw,  nice score.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk.

SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 06:25:37 AM »
Are you going to use it ?

What is blower in the cat ?

Btw,  nice score.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk.
Not sure yet if i'll use it or not, might be fun to give it a try. I do have some charcoal in it now though...it's easy to use.

I think that blower is to assist with getting the coals going faster

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 03:00:37 PM »
Great find Jeff....thats the only one Ive ever seen.  Based on the pics in the catalog, I didnt think they were that big.  The bottom hanlde looks the same as those on a vintage 18.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
Amazing pick up, Jeff.  Can't wait to see the restoration.

timleo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 03:36:46 PM »
So I guess there is no more complaining about working on a weekend?  Somethings just seem to work out pretty good.