Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Questions SS Performer  (Read 1415 times)

Dave O

• Smokey Joe
Questions SS Performer
« on: October 23, 2013, 05:23:58 PM »
A few questions, I am in the final stages of my Red SS performer non gas assist rebuild - the one I have does not have casters on the end opposite the bowl - It has 8" wheels on the bowl side, what do I need to do to install casters on the opposite side - smaller wheels or cut the end frame ?????? Also what is the part number for the cover for a pre 2000 performer - the local hardware store has a couple of old style covers but I want to make sur they are the right one - for the lid holder can I get just the rollers or do I need to order the whole assembly - should I use stainless for the mounting hardware or ????????????
Thanks

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Questions SS Performer
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 05:56:34 PM »
The cover you need is #8701. I'd be very surprised if your local store has one in stock. You will need to cut the frame to add the casters. It only take a few min with a dremel should you go that route. To install the casters without cutting, you would need TALLER wheels on the other side to lift it up. Not sure if thats what you meant.

The rollers are available as part#63049 http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hardware-for-lid-support-p-1477082.html or call weber directly for them. Stainless steel hardware is a nice touch, but it does add up. The hardware is 1/4-20 thread. If the hw is in good nick and you will leave it covered or out of the elements, it's not necessary. You may want to take extra precautions with the nut at the bottom of the ash sweepers as those are getting scarce.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
I kind of wish my SS did NOT have casters. It's easy enough to wheel it around wheelbarrow-style, and the caster wheels are useless anyway. Call Weber customer service about the 8701 cover - they may just have a few squirreled away. It will set you back $50 or so, but they are well made and will last years.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 06:15:01 PM »
The legs that the gas assist Performers use (shorter) are different than the legs on the non gas assist (longer).  Its a different part number.  I believe those legs you are looking for to put casters on without cutting are still available.   I do know that the cross bars that are parallel to the ground (that the wire rack sits on) are discontinued.   It all comes down to if you want to cut the legs down or put the right length legs on. 
Kettle collector AND cooker!