Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Today was a good day  (Read 6268 times)

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
Today was a good day
« on: October 11, 2013, 03:02:06 PM »
I took the afternoon off from work to gather up a few grills I’ve been working on this week. A few days ago I thought I had finally corralled a 26” but on the eve of the snag, I was disappointed to find the seller couldn’t read the box correctly as it was only a 22” OTS. Picking myself off the mat, I scoured the local ads and contacted a couple of sellers for their black 22”s to work the price down a bit. While searching, I found an ad for scrap steel that included a weber, so I reached out to them too.
The blackies were a bit down the road, but given that it is quickly cooling off up here, I was able to strike half-price bargains on two garage-queens, a OTG and a daisy wheel.
Once the scrap seller (she wanted $50 for some appliances, car hoods and the grills) got back to me, I found that a)it was a charcoal grill and b)it was red.  I was able to convince her not to scrap the Weber and allow me to take a look, promising her at least $5 for her trouble. She then sent me this photo:

As anyone reading this would do, I sped over there right after I got out of work and saw the grill next to their shed/barn. Since she hadn’t come out yet, I peeked around the side of the shed and see a red lid sitting on a white truck rim. I meet the Mrs. and we begin to chat, because she thinks I am nuts for wanting an old beat-up grill. The redhead had rusty leg sockets and crazing, so they had brought it down from their camp to trash it. We strike a bargain at my promised $5 price, and I then start to walk to the side of the shed to grab the lid.  She stops me dead in my tracks and states the lid is staying because hubby wants to use it as a fire pit cover.  This time, I noticed the lid had a METAL handle, so I quickly respond that I have a black lid with new(ish) nylon handles that won’t get nearly as hot as the metal handle would.  She walks inside to check with hubby and he is fine with a substitute, but they want it before I take the red lid.  So I drove home at breakneck speed, grabbed a black lid from a $5 grill I picked up a month or two ago and deliver them their new(ish) lid. Everyone is happy as a pig in shit.  Well, I was anyway.   :D  So, without further ado, here are my scores today:

even got a beatup chimney and a big bag of cowboy from a nearby garage sale

"O" lid but "P" coded daisy wheels ($10) and the "DH" OTG ($25) which was used only once  and has a pristine grate.

Nice folks, they apparently wash their scrap as the grill was fairly well clean.  I'll take some after photos once i tune her up.

the lid is in really good shape, just the one freckle on the lid and chips on the handle:

Two vents missing and the thumbscrew sockets are about to fall off.

So, I have been smiling all afternoon as I finally scored my first really old grill!  Thanks for letting me share with the few folks that get it. Now to get her in shape.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 03:36:52 PM by OGlenn »
Uncommon sense seeker

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: Today was a good day
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »
Nice, nice nice! A redhead Wood Dale is on everyone's grail list. How are the thumbscrews?

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 03:07:02 PM »
Nicely done! The red is sweet... 8)
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 03:10:04 PM »
Nice, nice nice! A redhead Wood Dale is on everyone's grail list. How are the thumbscrews?

Rusty, but will use some PB blaster to free them up.  My biggest concern is getting those sockets attached to the bowl, but I'll do some reading to see what has been tried my others.
Uncommon sense seeker

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 03:10:30 PM »
That is one sweet story and red grill!  Many congrats!!! ;D

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 03:14:21 PM »
I love those wooddales with the vent in that position. congrats on the score, that's a rare one indeed. It's probably a ~'56 +/- 2 years?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
A red Wood Dale in any condition is special.  Way to go!

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 03:23:08 PM »
Thanks guys, any suggestions on tidying up the wheels, daisy vents or the sockets is appreciated.
Uncommon sense seeker

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 03:25:26 PM »
fffuuuccckkk yyyeeeaaahhh
huge congrats on the score
big win ;D ;D
great story too
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 03:25:53 PM »
That has to be thee best 5 bucks ever spent.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »
Super f'n score!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
Today was a good day
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 04:06:16 PM »
Wow!!!!!   Thanks for sharing. That is an awesome story!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Today was a good day
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 04:10:39 PM »
Congrats on this sweet sweet score!!
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Cookiebaggs

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »
I'll bet it was tough to keep a poker face when you saw it was a Wood Dale!

Nice score.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »
I just shit myself......those leg sockets are an easy fix.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X