Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Rotisserie For Kettle  (Read 7736 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Weber Rotisserie For Kettle
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »
+ 1 for getting a bigger motor if possible.

I did a whole fresh ham on my rotis, and the OEM Weber motor was crying out in pain the whole time as that unbalanced load flopped around.  I was so relieved that it survived that I did a little basic maintenance on the motor, which quieted it down.  My current plan is to go ahead and use my Weber motor, then look into upgrade options when it finally dies.  A bit more horsepower will make those big cooks a little less nerve-wracking.

"A bit more horsepower will make those big cooks a little less nerve-wracking."  

An Upgrade?

I can see where this is headed....... 8)

The Man's Kitchen .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuJD1-1e-i4#t=130
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Weber Rotisserie For Kettle
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »
I forgot how much I liked that show buckie thanks for the laugh!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Big Al

• Happy Cooker
Re: Weber Rotisserie For Kettle
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2013, 06:28:21 AM »
What type of mods? grinding/drilling for fit or more involved?

Good eye Big Al,
The Gleason motor did require modifying a SS roti mount that i bought off of eBay.  It is the standard 3 in mount like the weber/CB, but some slight mod was necessary to align the spit with the motor (friend did it for me).
These aren't the best pics, but I can provide more detail if you like.

These Gleason rotisserie motors are tanks. A bit expensive, but you don't have to worry about unbalanced loads. I am thinking that I may have to get a 26 in CB ring and spin a suckling pig soon :)

Simvistatin, the breakfast of champions

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Weber Rotisserie For Kettle
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 06:33:30 AM »

+ 1 for getting a bigger motor if possible.

I did a whole fresh ham on my rotis, and the OEM Weber motor was crying out in pain the whole time as that unbalanced load flopped around.  I was so relieved that it survived that I did a little basic maintenance on the motor, which quieted it down.  My current plan is to go ahead and use my Weber motor, then look into upgrade options when it finally dies.  A bit more horsepower will make those big cooks a little less nerve-wracking.

The motor I got from Gleason Avery isn't cheap, but I know this can handle anything I throw at it. With the weber motor I do two chickens quite often. I notice that it spins irregularly - nothing that harms the cook, but like it has some play in it. The Gleason motor rotates at a constant rate. It also weighs about 6-7 times as much as the Weber - I am sure it is the way it is constructed. I also like the fact they are made in the US. They do have a smaller unit, but when I purchased it a couple of years ago, I decided to go ahead and get the big one :)

http://www.gleasonavery.com/catalog/rotisserie-motors.html