Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Feelin' Fruity ?  (Read 10853 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: Feelin' Fruity ?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 03:25:14 PM »
Yeah man, I just rarely see it actually WORK.

If you can get her done .... you have a sideline business IMO......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 03:41:32 PM »

Here's what I'd REALLY like to know how to do.....some kind of auto paint detailer type, using hi-heat sprayed, maybe.....would really also like to just talk to this person for a bit.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »
That things 'fruity' alright!  :o  You did a good job and it should hold if you are careful not to bank the coals against the sides. After several cooks it will toughen up. What ever happened with the copper one? How is it holding up?

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 03:47:17 PM »

Here's what I'd REALLY like to know how to do.....some kind of auto paint detailer type, using hi-heat sprayed, maybe.....would really also like to just talk to this person for a bit.....

That lid is really cool. If you could have that done in 500 degree it would probably hold alright on the lid as long as it didn't get direct fire.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 03:55:38 PM »
The paint instructions are to move up to one heat level, cool down, move up to a higher heat level, cool down & move to very high heat, but hopefully not near the upper limit of the coating which is 1600~2000 F..............
Sounds like the heat cycles required for the paint I used on my Lodge Sportsman's grill. I did all but the last cycle in the oven (when SWMBO was not home.  ;D ) The last cycle was a full load of lit charcoal and the cooker sitting in a kettle. It got the surface past the range of my IR thermometer (about 700°F) by a little. I can't imagine ever exceeding the 1600-2000°F limit w/out some kind of oxygen enrichment.
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 04:01:09 PM »

" What ever happened with the copper one? How is it holding up?"

The CopperHead did not fare as well....I got in a hurry & didn't set the paint in between the color & the clear & it turned uneven colors on the 1st cook.... :'(
it  did pretty well the 1st time I did it, the slower, more correct way & I think cooking on it may even out the tone of the color.....should not have rushed, but they were needing their kettle back (that one's for friends)

'You did a good job and it should hold if you are careful not to bank the coals against the sides."

The sides where the coals would bank are the least of my worries.....it's pretty much hard as a rock in those areas.....it's the heavy clear on the lid that has me concerned at this point.....

Hank.....that post of yours is a big part of what reminded me to slow it down.....I still didn't do it patiently enough............. :o
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 04:04:59 PM by 1buckie »

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 04:08:21 PM »
That is fruity for sure. Good looking paint job on that kettle. I real want to find a cheap ots that is pretty clean and turn the painter at work loose on it and let em just go crazy. I want something wild. I talked to him about it and he suggested a plum crazy kettle. It is the same color as the Mopar 70's plum crazy color, he just finished a side job painting a guys car and frame and underpinnings in that color and is now working on the engine block and intake in the same color.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 04:46:53 PM »

Get to him right at the end of the engine block and intake......
 That's where the hi-heat comes in......

The last cycle was a full load of lit charcoal and the cooker sitting in a kettle. It got the surface past the range of my IR thermometer (about 700°F) by a little. I can't imagine ever exceeding the 1600-2000°F limit w/out some kind of oxygen enrichment.

Exceeding the LIMIT, you say?

Oxygen-RICH.....you say?

1600-2000°F.....you say?

Let's git-er-done !!!!

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
Feelin' Fruity ?
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 05:26:18 PM »
Very nice buckie. Very nice. I don't know why weber doesn't make that color. If they did a Harley orange id buy one today.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 05:54:13 PM »
That 'Depot orange kettle turned out awesome, Ken!  :D

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 06:41:42 PM »
You had me for a second....nice work.  Weber needs to bring that color to market.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »
I like the boobie pink/peach color with the chicken on it.

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
Feelin' Fruity ?
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 07:22:38 PM »
Very cool mod! I am looking forward to seeing pics of it used in a regular cook!

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 07:37:01 PM »
Love it buckie
From the title to the fruit pics
And especially the orange 8) 8)
Are you feeling fruity?
Fffuuuccckkk yyyeeeaaahh
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 07:40:56 PM »
About time you turned up. :)

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA