Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Manturion Griddle Cleanup / Interesting Charcoal Baskets from South Africa  (Read 3711 times)

SixZeroFour

It's been a minute but I hope everyone in kettle-land is doing well!

Just wanted to share a couple cool finds I picked up this weekend thanks to a tip from a local Grillfella' - Cheers Kyle!

I've always loved the look of the Manturion griddle, but it's not the easiest accessory to find as they only ever seem to have come from South Africa (Perhaps also AUS/NZ??). So you can imagine my surprise when I clicked the link and read the listing for one for sale locally here in BC.

After quickly messaging the seller we made arrangements to meet today around noon. I walked up to the meeting place and to the man with a giant weber box and introduced myself. After exchanging names I asked if he might happen to be from South Africa and sure enough he smiled and said yes 8) He was super friendly and we shared a few good Weber stories before eventually packing up the goodies and heading home.

I was thrilled to get the box for it as well and its in pretty nice shape. The griddle was a little dirty/greasy but clearly not used very much and in excellent condition overall.

Here it is after a good degreasing, cleanup, and a replacement set of handles.

I could not be happier with the results and am really looking forward to trying this out for some stir fry/fajita type dishes. I think it will work out great and the size/capacity is perfect. It's somehow larger in person than what I was expecting...

The second accessory he had for sale was a very interesting set of Weber charcoal bins.
Has anyone seen a set like these before? I don't recall seeing this particular style and thought they were pretty cool...

Cheers for looking and happy grilling!

Matt
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Pezdogs

• WKC Ranger
Great scores, well done

Sent from my SM-S908E using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Joep

• WKC Brave
Wow that is cool! Hope to find that griddle one day!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
Interesting post and dialog!  Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

OkieGirl

• WKC Brave
Very nice! Congrats Matt!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Cool find, never seen either of those before.  The griddle cleaned up nicely![emoji122]

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
2 wonderful unique scores
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
A couple of great finds. The griddle cleaned up like new. Well done.
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Outstanding scores, Matt!
The MG appears to be older than mine with the wood handles, but it's in fantastic condition.
You will love it. So much fun.
Those baskets look very similar to my homemade ones.
Expanded metal is the way to go, especially with lump charcoal.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Cellar2ful

Congratulations Matt. Cool find. Another WKC member just picked up a used Manchurian grill yesterday in California. Thank you for the info about the sales being outside the US.  Most photos of them I have seen have been from Australian members.

@1spacemanspiff
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Nice Matt!

I think you’ll find that they’re not quite as non-stick as they look, but they are very cool!

But, Griddle Me This..,

Can you fill it up with BACON?!  [emoji6]

(sorry I don’t have my original pics)
Dude, relax your chicken.

SixZeroFour

Cheers all, looking forward to firing it up soon.

My next mini-project is to rig it up to work on the summit. It will balance on the body using the handels, but I want to make a little 22" size frame so I can use the welded supports and not worry about it being tippy. 

@MacEggs Seeing your MG in action for those Venison burgers awhile back got my imagination going, so I'm stoked to finally give it a go! Yours definitly has higher side walls than mine which must have been a (smart) running change over the years. Very cool.

@dazzo Great bacon photo!! I will have to try to recreate that one soon! Being the porcelain enamal I figured that sticking could be an issue so I plan to oil the crap out of it and mainly use it for breakfast/stir fry type dishes.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 12:02:06 PM by SixZeroFour »

SixZeroFour

Wasted no time in firing this bad boy up...

Used lots of oil, cheers for the heads up dazzo!, and it came out great. Cleanup wasn't too nasty either as I was able to use the good ole' steel wool.

Bottom line - I love this thing! and expect it will be well used.

Up next - the bacon challenge  ;D

Pezdogs

• WKC Ranger
Yum, bacon pancakes are great on these also

Sent from my SM-S908E using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
 @SixZeroFour
Out of the gate!! WOW!! Delicious looking meal!
Now you have inspired me to do more than just breakfast and SBs.

Bottom line - I love this thing! and expect it will be well used.

Up next - the bacon challenge  ;D

This is a pic of mine from about 6-7 years ago.
The usual suspects... bacon, peameal bacon, and breakfast sausage.
Took awhile to cook-up. Homefries and scrambled eggs followed this.  ;D

IMG_8313.jpg" border="0
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.