Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: propane igniter issue  (Read 4182 times)

rober

• Smokey Joe
propane igniter issue
« on: September 07, 2023, 12:58:40 PM »
my igniter is not working properly on my weber performer. it's the newer version with the chrome push button. with fresh batteries it clicks but only lights 1 in 10 times. i wire brushed the area where flame is but it hasn't helped. it lights fine with a match. any suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 11:40:58 AM by rober »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: propane igniter issue
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 02:44:14 PM »
The igniter might be bad.  How long ago did it work properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rober

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 05:13:17 PM »
i also contacted weber. i told them with a fresh battery that it worked intermittently, that i'd cleaned the outside of it, & that it works with a match. they then asked me if the battery was new, had i cleaned it, & did it work with a match. did they even read my email??!!

so it worked intermittently about 12 weeks ago. i had back surgery & was unable to grill as i have to move my cajun bandit smoker off of the grill to load charcoal & i'm not supposed to lift more than 10 pounds. now it's not working at all. when i'm able to i'll try following weber's instructions below before spending near 50.00 to replace it. for now i'll light it with a match. ALSO- i should mention that i keep this grill covered so it's fairly well protected.
weber's instructions. these were in an email. i cannot find this on there website.
Are the white and black wires attached?
The photo on the left is for models without a battery and the photo on the right is for models with a battery.
Has there been rain or humidity?
Humidity and/or rainfall can cause moisture to collect on the end of the electrode making it difficult for the igniter to create a spark. To dry out the igniter, light the grill with a match and allow it to heat for approximately 15-20 minutes. If the igniter works after being dried out, then the igniter does not need to be replaced.
Is the igniter dirty?
The igniter may simply be dirty from ashes that are swept out of the bowl with the cleaning system. Follow the instructions below to clean the burner tube.
Turn the gas to OFF
Remove the Char Bin™ storage container.
Remove orifice clip (2) and hose fitting (3) from the burner tube.
Look inside the burner with a flashlight.
Clean the inside of the burner with the wire matchlight holder (provided). Use the wire to clean the air shutter area, the venturi section, and the burner slots (4) on the inside of the bowl. Be careful when inserting the burner cleaning tool not to damage the igniter electrode (5).

Recheck with a flashlight to see that there are no obstructions.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. As always, we are happy to do so.

Awaiting your response.

Thank you,
Eshaan W

Weber Consumer Care Team

Weber LLC

« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 05:21:25 PM by rober »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 09:42:46 AM »
If memory serves, I've seen those instructions for cleaning the tube in some instructions for a Weber.

They mention the electrode possibly being wet.  I don't use the Weber ones, but on a regular gas oven, the electrode can get dirty, corroded or whatever. I've used some steel wool or very fine sandpaper to clean off the electrode for the automatic ignition on an oven, so I'd consider giving that a whirl too.

On a gas oven, the electrode is mounted outside the tube but near a series of small holes towards the end of the tube with the opening. If that is the case, make sure the holes are not blocked with dirt of grease.  If memory serves, you should also clean off the tube on the side opposite of the electrode as dirt or corrosion on that surface may also make it more difficult to get the spark between the electrode and the metal opposite the electrode.

You can probably find some Youtube videos on doing this with a stove, but there might also be ones featuring a variety of gas grills.
Good luck.
regards,
Hal

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 09:51:09 AM »
what @PotsieWeber said, how have you been Hal ?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 10:00:33 AM »
what @PotsieWeber said, how have you been Hal ?

I've been good.  Just been busy at work & with 3 kids now.  An 8 1/2 yr old, an almost 7, & a 3 1/2 yr old. Also, mom died last year and dealing with probate stuff. (I'm also the adult guardian of a sibling my older sister).

Haven't looked for anything in a couple years & started peeking back in here a couple months ago, lurking and such. 

I still have a grill I agented for Colin a couple years back that I still have to pack up for him & ship (assuming he still wants it). Only recall roughly what it cost, so if he still wants it, I hope he remembers.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 10:08:34 AM »
Part of what sucked me back in was a grade school reunion, where I went to school with one of the Krugs. Her dad is in some of the old pictures of Mr. Stephens and he was basically probably both the first and the largest manufacturer's reps (or whatever) that worked with Weber.  Apparently, they still are likely the biggest.  She was telling me I really need to check out Backyard Barbeque in Wilmette (a store opened by a Kettlehead).

In case anybody was wondering, I ran into one of her brothers years ago at a local gas station and ALREADY tried figuring out what the chances were that their was any old kettles stashed away in their dad's old house (or the building where their business is).

I actually need to search around & see if I can find any pictures of her dad, that I know used to be on here, for her.
regards,
Hal

rober

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2023, 05:15:44 PM »
lots of videos on gas grills but not so much charcoal & most of those deal with replacement not repair. i looked at a gas grill igniter video & it's a completely different beast. mine is clicking so gas is the battery end is working. it lights with a match so gas is getting thru. so my money is on the electrode. because of my issues i'll have to recruit some help to take it apart. i'll report back when i resolve this. in the meantime i'll use a match.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 05:20:18 PM by rober »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 05:30:24 PM »
That is basically what my oven was doing. So, clean the electrode and the metal on the tube on the opposite side. Since it will be apart at that point, I'll also clean out any pinholes that are probably along the circumference of the tube (the tube wall) near the tip where the flame comes out.  Good luck.

I've got some performers with gas assist, but never actually used them, not even to check if they worked.  But, I did get the 5 gallon propane tank for my SSP recertified and filled several years back. Local family owned place did the recertification free with the fill-up. Cost was $5 plus change because he charged about $1/lb. 

lots of videos on gas grills but not so much charcoal & most of those deal with replacement not repair. i looked at a gas grill igniter video & it's a completely different beast. mine is clicking so gas is the battery end is working. it lights with a match so gas is getting thru. so my money is on the electrode. because of my issues i'll have to recruit some help to take it apart. i'll report back when i resolve this. in the meantime i'll use a match.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2023, 05:38:52 PM »
That is basically what my oven was doing. So, clean the electrode and the metal on the tube on the opposite side. Since it will be apart at that point, I'll also clean out any pinholes that are probably along the circumference of the tube (the tube wall) near the tip where the flame comes out.  If you haven't seen any videos regarding cleaning the electrode for grills, take a look at the ones for ovens on youtube if you feel it necessary.  All I had to do was give it a really light cleaning twisting the electrode end around in some steel wool a couple times & cleaned off the tip too.  Rubbed the steel wool back and forth a couple times on tube right across from the electrode.  Think I used some sort of pin or small finishing nail to make sure there was no gunk in the tiny holes in the tube. Hope you find someone to give you a hand.  Good luck.

I've got some performers with gas assist, but never actually used them, not even to check if they worked.  But, I did get the 5 gallon propane tank for my SSP recertified and filled several years back. Local family-owned place did the recertification free with the fill-up. Cost was $5 plus change because he charged about $1/lb. 

regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2023, 05:42:13 PM »
That is basically what my oven was doing. So, clean the electrode and the metal on the tube on the opposite side. Since it will be apart at that point, I'll also clean out any pinholes that are probably along the circumference of the tube (the tube wall) near the tip where the flame comes out.  If you haven't seen any videos regarding cleaning the electrode for grills, take a look at the ones for ovens on youtube if you feel it necessary.  All I had to do was give it a really light cleaning twisting the electrode end around in some steel wool a couple times & cleaned off the tip too.  Rubbed the steel wool back and forth a couple times on tube right across from the electrode.  Think I used some sort of pin or small finishing nail to make sure there was no gunk in the tiny holes in the tube. Hope you find someone to give you a hand. Hopefully you can figure out how it comes apart as I've never tried it. Good luck.

I've got some performers with gas assist, but never actually used them, not even to check if they worked.  But, I did get the 5 gallon propane tank for my SSP recertified and filled several years back. Local family-owned place did the recertification free with the fill-up. Cost was $5 plus change because he charged about $1/lb. 

regards,
Hal

bladz

• WKC Ranger
propane igniter issue
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2023, 03:52:32 AM »
Have you tried blowing some compressed air through the tube, or running a pipe cleaning brush into the the tube?   Hard to see spider webs or other small objects may be the problem.  I’ve had the pipe brush work more than once to fix an igniter.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 03:57:11 AM by bladz »

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2023, 09:37:15 AM »
Hi rober,

The suggestions Weber sent are all good things to check when dealing with ignitor issues.

If you can hear the module ticking then the problem will likely be the electrode and/or wiring. If there is a split in the wire casing (can get brittle over time) or a crack anywhere in the white ceramic electrode, it will arc from that point to the body of the grill or next closest grounding point instead of the electrode tip so your spark is not hapenning in the right place...

If its an older Genesis model it could also be collector box related. 

Is this on a gas Go-Anywhere? And if not what model Weber is it?
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E