Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: broken lid handle on Blue Performer SS circa 1999 model EE  (Read 583 times)

eashley

• Happy Cooker
broken lid handle on Blue Performer SS circa 1999 model EE
« on: August 25, 2022, 10:27:27 AM »
Looking for the best way to repair/replace the lid handle on my Performer EE. One side just detached from the lid and the other side is wobbly and ready to go. It now also has an oversized hole in the lid from the handle fitting getting eaten away. I thought there must be replacements which will fit easily & that could be bolted (from below) to the lid but have not seen anything online which looks like it will work. After 23 years of being careful when using the handle the old girl finally gave in. Only other repairs I've ever had to do have been easy.  For example I just replaced a caster wheel (easy to do) about 2 weeks ago and the ash catcher is attached with some picture wire. Plus had to replace the gas bottle and regulator hose and it's fittings. All in all it's been a great and I want to keep going! Would appreciate suggestions and links to solutions!!

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
Re: broken lid handle on Blue Performer SS circa 1999 model EE
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 11:28:50 AM »
Photos might help folks help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 11:33:45 AM »
We can assume where it broke but without a pic…..

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
broken lid handle on Blue Performer SS circa 1999 model EE
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 12:51:46 PM »
What color is your bowl and lid?  If they’re black there are tons of used black 22” kettles for sale on FB marketplace for cheap and if you don’t mind a basic lid.  You might find one with decent grates too…. Just a thought.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 05:09:19 PM »
What Bama said is the easiest fix.

Beyond that, some very sharp drill bits and stainless steel hardware can do the job. Use a big fender washer on the inside of the lid.

$0.02
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

magic mike

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 05:12:54 PM »
What Bama said is the easiest fix.

Beyond that, some very sharp drill bits and stainless steel hardware can do the job. Use a big fender washer on the inside of the lid.

$0.02

^^^This.

sharp can’t be overemphasized here. Ask me how I know……….. 🙂😉

eashley

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 11:36:51 AM »
guys, sorry that I did not post a picture before but I am happy to report that I was able to have the handle spot welded back to the lid. So for now the issue is resolved. The medal underneath was somewhat rusted away which caused the failure. The welder said that he though the weld would hold for quite a while but if it became a problem again he told me that he could do a more extensive repair which I took to mean he might add a reinforcement piece of metal to the inside of the lid so that any future welding would have more surface to bond to. The kettle is blue BTW and at this point I probably won't bother to repaint since the spot weld is pretty small.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 11:46:43 AM by eashley »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 12:15:05 PM »
Very good!  I don't blame you for wanting to keep that beauty going.  Nice grill you've got there.

eashley

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 12:19:54 PM »
Thanks....23 years of good eating off this baby